dahlia

I thought about leaving a note at one of the planters for the mystery gardener, but I couldn't think of what to say, and I didn't want to scare them off.

Sitting at my dimly lit desk in the corner of my room, I fidgeted with a pencil in my right hand, and an eraser in my left. I thought about how to address them in the letter, or how long I should make it. I decided against a lengthy letter. So I wrote a short one.

My flower friend,

Your flowers are really nice. Thank you for helping me make this park beautiful.

Something didn't seem right about putting my name in the letter. I didn't even know theirs.

-- your flower friend.

I decided to visit at night, since it had been a while since I went on a night walk. I'd been so busy worrying about Kai and Kaori. I took a dahlia sprout off my shelf and brought it with me.

The nights were getting warmer as the summer approached, so my nightly walks were a lot less chilly. When I arrived at the park, I placed the letter in the dirt, standing up. Next to the note, I planted the dahlia sprout. Hopefully they'd reply, and the letter wouldn't push them away. The whole time, the two of us had been communicating without words.

The next school day, I wanted to talk to someone who knew a lot of people. So naturally I thought of my english teacher. She was sociable, and a lot of the students liked her class. I didn't really talk to her about my gardening much, but if I brought it up to her, she'd gladly talk to me about it. Unfortunately, her class was the last period of the day, which meant I had to endure the pain of my other classes. I sat through Mr. R's talkativeness, my history teacher's controversial topics, P.E's 20 minute exercises, and lunch. Finally, after a conversation about art with Erik and Jade, I was in english class.

"If it isn't you! I hope you've been writing your essay," she teased. "It's due in a couple days."

"Ha, ha. I finished the essay weeks ago," I replied. If anyone, she knew I was on top of my work. Perhaps a little too much.

While the rest of the class typed away at their essays, I went to talk at her desk.

"How are you doing, little plant mom?" she asked.

"Huh?"

"A little bird told me you've been planting in the garden," she told me.

"Who told you?" I asked, wondering if she happened to know the other gardener. Maybe she knew them, maybe they knew me...

"i have my sources," she smiled.

"hUH?!" I cried out. Half of the class looked up. I coughed. "I mean, how?"

"It seems like you have a little mystery friend! Lucky for you, he left the note in the ground. You've been planting flowers with a little lover!" she squealed.

"Oh, lover? Oh no, I don't even know them. Much less love them," I told her.

"I have a feeling you might," her tone was mysterious, as if she was trying to hint at something, but I just brushed it off.

Even though I was anxious to know who the other gardener was, I didn't want to ask her any more questions, for fear she'd embarrass me about them, so I laughed it off and changed the topic. As we had a casual conversation about our favorite movies, my mind wandered. Did she know what they looked like? Did she know them herself? I wanted to ask more, but I knew I couldn't, for it was far too risky to ask the chatty english teacher about them. So I didn't.