47 | Bleed Myself Dry

Z I O N

Z I O N

I knew by the look on Pearl's face what the phone call was about. It was how she left in a hurry to pick up the phone, and the way her eyebrows twitched together that I knew we weren't done with trouble yet.

Pearl stared at me while a deep voice spoke from the other end of the line like she was keeping the image of me being near her as a lifeline to avoid being lost to the words being said to her.

"How?" She managed to ask, her voice dry and a little raspy from shock.

I took a step closer, tilting my head to the side to try to hear the voice speak again. The second I recognised Riot Sokolov's voice, my breath got caught in my throat. Every single time he was in contact with Pearl, trouble followed.

"Of course, she has help from the outside," She spoke a little louder before glancing away from me and completely turning her back to me. "But how- Dammit! What are you doing right now to catch her?"

I froze, my heart feeling as if it plummeted. Closing my eyes, I tried to keep breathing. We couldn't think straight if we began to panic now. It would all be for nothing, so I shut out my overthinking and opened my eyes, waiting for Pearl to turn back and look at me.

"Okay, okay," She mumbled, nodding and keeping her gaze down on the floor. "Just gotta stay home. Alright, but she knows where I live, and where Gabriel lives- Fuck, he's been through enough, Riot. You need to catch her before-"

She sucked in a big breath at something Riot said and straightened her stance.

"No, she wouldn't. He has nothing to do with her. Why does she want-" Her voice cracked, and my heart shattered.

I forced my legs to carry me further toward her, but she took more steps away from me. Clenching my jaw with building frustration, I stayed there, keeping my distance from Pearl when all I wanted to do was hold her and stop her from crying.

"Then tell her to take me instead," Her voice lowered, but I still heard it and tensed up. "Yeah, she doesn't need Zion. She can take her anger out on me."

That was what made me rush to her side, enrapturing her between the wall so that she had no choice but to look up at me.

I leaned my head down, feeling my heart race a million miles at a time because of what she was saying. There was no way I was going to let her sacrifice herself to Zandra. What the hell was she thinking?

"Hang up," I whispered, begging her with my eyes.

She shook her head and glanced away, pressing the phone closer to her ear. I clicked my tongue and held her chin, turning her head so that she couldn't look away from me.

"It's the only thing that makes sense," Pearl spoke through gritted teeth, speaking to both me and Riot.

I furrowed my eyebrows and shook my head, persistent with disagreeing with her reckless idea.