021. SCARLET

SCARLET
YOU

SCARLET, a beautiful colour, one to admire- except in the March family

SCARLET, a beautiful colour, one to admire- except in the March family. Scarlet had progressed from more than a colour, an illness, a disease; one that had once inhabited young Beth, one that had returned.

Jo sat in Beth's bedroom, the floor felt hard against her body as she scribbled away in her book. Tales of anger, betrayal, love and loss- all induced by blonde curls. Crossing out line after line, Jo felt herself getting more frustrated with her own talents, ones that felt less like talents these days; she was divinely dissatisfied with herself.

"Jo," Her voice croaky with the defeat of letting this infection take hold of her once more.

"Oh, Beth! My love!" Jo rushed to Beth's aid, engulfing her younger sister in her arms- squeezing tightly as if it would be the last time.

"You didn't need to come..." Beth said, pulling away with what strength she had.

"I never should've left. Do you need anything? Here take some water." Jo handed Beth a cup that she had Hannah fill for her.

"It's so good to see your face," Beth smiled softly before slowly sipping her water.

"We're going to the sea to get you strong and well," Jo told her, grabbing Beth's hands with hers, Beth's felt cold regardless of the fever ravaging her body.

"The sea?!"

"I want you dancing by the time Amy gets back," Jo told her.

"She's not cutting her trip short, is she?" Worry rushed over Beth's face, her heart too kind and soul too sweet to even think of being the reason for Amy leaving Paris.

"No, no..." Jo shook her head.

"Good. Is there any news? What does she say?" Beth tries to lean forwards the best she can, Jo helps her sit up with her hand on Beth's lower back.

"She writes that Laurie is there... I'm glad he's with her, he won't respond to any of my letters," Jo looks down sheepishly before slowly returning her gaze to Beth, she knew she didn't deserve his forgiveness- but her heart lied with Penny.

"Do you miss him?" Yes, Jo thought.

"I miss everything," Tears slowly welled up in Jo's eyes.

"I know," Beth pulled Jo slowly down so her sister could rest her head. She played with Jo's long locks as her head laid in her lap. Beth took a deep breath, knowing it was one of the hardest topics for Jo to touch on, "I know you miss Penelope too"

"Oh don't be silly, I couldn't miss her even if I tried," Jo scoffed, sitting up suddenly and wiping the fallen tears from her cheeks.

"Jo you're many things, a good liar is not one of them," The knowing look that Beth shot Jo, she felt in her soul- it calling out her lies about her love for Penelope Brooks. Beth liked to believe that just because she was quiet, didn't mean she did not know things or was any less of a force to be reckoned with; she also believed that she knew her sisters, and their hearts. "I see the way you look at her Jo," Beth said softly.

"I have not the faintest idea of what youre talking about Beth," Jo stood, grabbing her book from where is laid on the floor, pages were less filled these days without a muse for Jo's work, "The fever is getting to your head,"

"I know the two of you don't speak anymore, but I hope you two will reconcile-" Beth's weak hand grabbed Jo's as best it could- "It's my last wish,"

"Your last wish?" Jo scoffed once more, ready to leave the room and her sister to her nonsense, "Don't be so dramatic-"

"Jo" She turned her eyes to look down at Beth, a pleading look upon her face, "Please" 

( SCARLET, YOU )

Town Square was particularly quiet this morning, a dreary thought persistently made it's way back in to Marmie's head- the world knew something was wrong, the earth was showing signs of losing a small soul. Her heart broke.

"Marmie March?" She turned around, her groceries in hand to see Ethel Brooks and her, surprisingly, still youthful glow.

"Ethel? How are you it feels like a lifetime" A smile for the first time that day graced her.

"Well thats because it has been," Ethel brought Marmie in for a tight embrace, "How have you been? How are the girls?"

"Amy is in France for her art at the moment," Marmie tried to mention humbly, she was so very proud of all of her daughters.

"Oh how wonderful! I remember Martha mentioning it a while ago. And Meg?" Ethel pressed on, Marmie knew which daughter the conversation would eventually fall upon.

"She's still with John and the kids,"

"And Jo is still in New York?"

She's just come home actually.." The inevitable, "Beth, well she- she isn't well"

"Again?" Ethel's face dropped instantly, her heart beating slow for the youngest, sweetest March daughter.

"Again. Scarlett Fever, I'm just here getting some vegetables for dinner," Marmie looked around, trying to end the conversation before tears flooded her eyes.

"The poor darling, if anyone can get through this again it's Beth," Ethel reached up and touched Marmie's arm, a spark of what once could have been, they locked eyes.

"I know but.." Marmie broke Ethel's gaze, "I don't want her to have to keep fighting like this, fighting again and again-" Marmie sighed, not being able to help herself than to look back up at Ethel, "She deserves so much more" 

( SCARLET, YOU )

"Mother what're you doing?" Penelope had been home alone all day, there were only so many words on an old book page someone could read without being reminded of the beauty that was Jo March.

"Making some soup to go over to the March's home," Ethel did not look up from the stove-top, too concentrated.

"Why? What does Marmie need with soup," Penelope sat upon the kitchen counter, her mother pulling her dress skirt for her to get off.

"Penelope, well, Beth is very sick again" Ethel sighed.

"No," Penelope looked to her mother, searching for a glint of a lie.

"Yes, Scarlett fever again,"

"What? Is she- Is she okay?" A million thoughts raced through Penelope's head.

"I don't think things are looking great.. So I'm going to head over there and drop this off and maybe say goodbye to Beth" Ethel moved the pot from the stove, looking for a dish to put it in.

"I'm coming with you," 

"Penelope but-"

"I'm going back, I have to see her.. I can't just let Beth sit there knowing something could happen to her and not say goodbye" Penelope knew what it was like to be left without a goodbye.