chapter twenty-seven: accommodate

"Are you listening to me?" Melanie clicked her fingers in front of Scarlett's face, seeing her best friend's mind wander.

"Huh, what?"

Mel snorted. "Lost you, babe."

"Sorry, I'm so out of it today." She pushed her food around her plate with a fork.

"Late night with lover boy?"

"Late night with target reports more like."

"Boring!"

Scarlett had been swamped with paperwork the night before and had a long, boring morning. She'd been hounded about sales and was working hard to secure new stock to make Abe's Turntable different from every other store like hers.

And as she slept, her dreams had been rotten with an unrest that made her feel unsteady. Like looming darkness waiting to swallow her whole.

Needing to take a beat and revive her brain, she'd met up with Melanie for lunch. They found themselves in Central Park, tucked away in a café. Polishing off her second cup of coffee, she delved back into her food.

"Have another meeting after this. Riveting shit, I know."

"You're just rolling in the fun."

"Tell me about it." Scarlett sighed. "So, what's new with you? Did you go on that date you were telling me about?"

Mel chewed on a bite, nodding before swallowing. "Yeah, just some detective. She was nice, but all she did was talk about work. And her favourite types of stationery."

"That's... interesting?" Scarlett offered. "Well, what about that photographer?"

"It's just casual with him. He buys me dinner and we then fuck."

"Better than talking about stationery, no?"

Mel laughed. "You're right. Let's go for a walk, need to stretch my legs before I'm stuck behind my desk for the rest of the day."

The two made their way back into the park, taking their time with full tummies while their coffees kicked in. The light breeze refreshed them, crisp and offering the perfect contrast to the blinding sun above.

"How's the family?" Scarlett checked in.

"They're good, keep me grounded, ya know? Mom asks about you every time we talk."

"We'll all have to go out for lunch one of these days."

"She'd love that. She adores you, always has." Mel hugged her to her side.

They ventured around the pond, viewing the wildlife and New Yorkers bustling about. Skateboarders, joggers, cyclists. It was a small reminder that Scarlett needed to get to the gym at some point.

"What are his friends like?"

"Whose friends?"

"Harry's. I mean, I know Xander. He was super nice when we hung out. Can't remember the tall ones name, though."

"Xander is a total sweetheart. He's more laidback, very sensible, and relaxed. We get along pretty well. And Sebastian... is almost the complete opposite. He's cheeky and impulsive. He intimidated me at first and he wasn't very fond of me but I think we're almost... growing on each other."

"Well, that's good. It's clear that Harry loves you so his friends would follow suit. And they should, you're the fucking sweetest and he's lucky to have you."

Scarlett wrinkled her nose. "I wouldn't say he loves me."

"Right." Mel shot her a look. "He's just your boyfriend slash sugar daddy, and you're you. I mean, why wouldn't he love you?"