Chapter Twenty Two

Kenzie ~

Sleeping was out of the question for Kenzie as she paced her apartment, nervously cleaning and rubbing a worry stone on her left hand.

It was a feeling she was accustomed to but hadn't felt in quite some time and it was taking a little while for her body to readjust. She experienced similar jitters when Banks would leave for deployment or was sent on missions for her fathers teams.

Her body was flooded with the adrenaline of the unknown and she actively fought off the intrusive thoughts that started to cling to the corners of her mind. 

The ringtone of her cell phone made her jump and she placed her hand on her chest, rolling her eyes at how jumpy and anxious she was.

Get it together Kenzie. You've done this dozens of times.

Hunters deep voice echoed through the speakers and washed over her entire body, instilling a sense of calm as he spoke. He explained that Bravo team was leaving earlier than expected and that he was going with them.

"When do you leave?" She asked knowing it was probably soon.

"An hour, maybe less." He said flatly.

An hour?

Kenzie controlled her voice and breathing, but couldn't muster up any words for a second or two.

"Okay." She managed to say with forced confidence.

She wanted to see him and kiss his face. She wanted to feel his big protective arms around her, but there wasn't a lot of time and she wasn't sure how he'd feel about it. Hunter was so damn hard to read sometimes.

Screw it. I'm just going to ask.

"Could I...I mean, would I be able to see you before you leave?" She asked, bracing herself for him to say no and readying her heart to be okay with it.

Every man dealt with deployment in a different way. Some wanted long emotional farewell while others simply turned off their humanity and left out of self preservation. She just wasn't sure of Hunters preferences yet.

The line was quiet and Kenzie found herself holding her breath until Hunters deep voice finally sounded.

"I'd like that." Hunter affirmed, sending a wave of endorphins through Kenzie's system.

"I'll leave right now. Do you need me to bring you anything?" She asked, trying to be as useful as possible.

"Just you Kenz...and maybe some of those lucky rocks of yours." Hunter chuckled, putting a smile on Kenzie's face.

Oh I'm one step ahead of you tough guy. See these fancy ass rocks really do work.

********

It took her a matter of minutes to get to Knight security as she drove like a mad woman down the freeway. There were lots of cars in the parking lot and a thick serious energy in the air as she parked and climbed out of the drivers seat.

Lexi and Natalie greeted her as she walked immediately wrapping her up in a big endearing hug.

"You okay babe?" Lexi asked as she gave Kenzie a squeeze.

"I'm good." Kenzie said with a smile that was half way forced.

"This shit sucks and we know it. Don't feel like you have to do this alone. Lainey and I are staying with James and Lex is going to stay with Claire and Nate. You're welcome to crash at either place if you want to." Natalie said with a genuine smile as she studying Kenzie's face.