Chapter 21: No More Lies

*18 and up (aka Mature/adult/lemon)

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ☽ ☪ ☾ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

𝕴 sigh and finally shake his arms off of me before sitting down again. "Why?"

Kirigan joins me and tells me everything. How he was born during a time of heavy persecution against Grisha. He had a nomadic childhood and lived in secrecy, rarely staying in one location under one identity for more than a month at a time for safety. Baghra warned him against showing off his powers or allowing anyone to touch him.

At 13, under the name Eryk, while stationed at a Grisha camp near the Fjerdan border, two other children at the camp attempted to drown him in a freezing lake after finding out he was an amplifier, one of whom he had befriended and trusted. He used the Cut for the first time and framed the nearby otkazat'sya village. His mother, at the time going by the name of Lena, told him she didn't blame their kind for the desperation to protect themselves. It was at this moment that he swore to make a safe place for Grisha.

While under the name Leonid, he was one of the first Grisha to offer his services to King Yevgeni Lantsov, helping him to defeat Shu Han in a tough battle. For his reward, he rejected gold and instead requested a sanctuary for Grisha in exchange for a trained army. It was unpopular as Grisha were treated with suspicion, but he was able to establish the Little Palace and Second Army.

At some point, the King became wary that the Darkling was planning to overthrow him. He took the Grisha and ran. Then he fell in love with a Healer. But the King's soldiers found them. They demanded that he turn himself over but with the help of his lover he fought them off. But he wasn't a God. A soldier captured the Healer and killed her right in front of him. In an attempt to summon an army to protect the other Grisha, he used merzost. It backfired. He created the Fold and every man, woman, and child within it turned into volcra. The Darkling faked his death and continued to serve many kings over the years, repeating the cycle over and over again. And now we're here.

When he's finished, I sit in silence. Kirigan gives me some time to take everything in. Finally, I ask, "Why did you want Alina and I, if you had no intentions of destroying the Fold?"

The Darkling replies, "Your powers will help me control the volcra. We can travel through the Fold at will. Use it if we must."

"Use it? You mean expand it? Make it into a weapon to scare your enemies?" I aggressively say.

He nods, "See, we do think alike."

"No, no we don't. I won't stand by and let this happen!" I yell.

Kirigan just tilts his head, "And what would you do to stop me?"

I glare at him and take a moment to formulate a response. Then it hits me, "What if there was another way? One where you could still have the power you want. The fear. And a plan where we could still destroy the Shadow Fold?"

He just waves a hand for me to go on, so I do. "Make a show of strength. The resistance perhaps? Show that you can use the Fold to destroy your enemies. But, when Alina and I have enough power we will get rid of it."

The Darkling hums and replies in a tone that reminds me of a teacher scolding his favorite student, "I don't see how that will get me what I want."

I raise an eyebrow, "That's just your hunger for power talking. Next time use your brain instead."

"Svetlana-"

"If we show the people that together we have the ability to create, control, and destroy the Fold then you would have everything you want," I interrupt. "You would be the hero that discovered the Saints who saved Ravka. They would adore you. Not the useless King. You. And after your show of controlling the Fold, your enemies would be reminded that if they cross you then you could easily create another. We could even leave a sliver of it left as a constant memorial to your threat. The only solution for it would be my sister and I, at your side."