Chapter 24: Beautiful Monster

*Very very mature/adult/lemon

*Do not read unless you are prepared for it

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ☽ ☪ ☾ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

𝖂𝖊 made it back to where we left our coach to find it gone. Ivan is helping David get off the ground but when he sees us he walks forward, "They stole-"

"I know," Aleksander interrupts.

I pull David fully to his feet and he mutters, "It was the thieves."

Ivan steps forward and says, "I'll find a horse and I can catch up to them."

"No, it's a waste of time. She's not with them," the Darkling replies.

"She's on her own. And our priority now is to locate her as quickly as possible," I finish.

David raises his index finger asking for permission to talk. I'm chuckling and Aleksander looks exasperated as he says, "You don't need to put-"

"Yes, David?" I laugh out.

"Well, Genya gave her a ring," he stutters. "Made of pure iridium, not native to Ravka. So when we get within one mile of her, I can direct us."

"Well done," the Darkling compliments. "Proving again the many uses of a Durast."

"Let's go," I say as I begin to walk back towards the town. "I think I know where Alina will go but I want to talk to the man who claims he saw her."

We find him and I ask, "The girl you saw, was she Shu? Look similar to me?"

He nods and replies, "Yeah, she was Shu. Pulled a trick with phosphorus or something, blinded my mate."

"Any idea where she went?" I inquire.

"Neighbors said they saw her flee north, into the woods," he answers. "She's a spy, yeah?"

Aleksander speaks up, "What makes you say that?"

He shrugs, "First Army came through here, too, earlier. Looking for her."

"Who... exactly?" I ask although I think I know the answer.

"Some tracker. A corporal."

"No ordinary tracker. No ordinary girl," the Darkling states. "Orphans of Keramzin. Reunited. Adorable."

The sadness hits me again, swift like lightning. But I brush it off and say what I've been meaning to, "My sister is in the woods. She's going after the Stag."

Aleksander nods, "Yes. We should return to the Little Palace and then travel north. They will lead us to the herd."

We find horses and make the journey back. When we return, the Darkling and I head straight to our quarters. Once there I immediately pour myself a glass of kvas and take a seat.

"What will you do when we find them?" I ask.

"You already know what I will do," he replies as he joins me.

"Let me talk to them alone first. She's still my sister."

Aleksander hums, "Fine but I will not allow her to kill the stag first."

"Hopefully it doesn't come to that," I mumble.

He just sighs and looks over at me. "You're far too forgiving and trusting, Lana."

I laugh, the first real one since I found out Alina left me. "If I weren't then I would have already run away from you, Aleksander."

"You know I would never allow that," he says with a shake of his head.