Bonus Chapter

*This is the mature/lemon version. It's super super spicy

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ☽ ☪ ☾ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

𝕿𝖔𝖉𝖆𝖞 is my second favorite holiday of the year, the feast of Sankta Anastasia. She was the saint of the sick and it's typical to celebrate her by enjoying tiny dishes of red wine. Her blood was rumored to have healing properties, so she fed it to the countless wounded. By drinking wine, we commemorate her deeds and place ourselves in the shoes of those she healed.

Growing up, we rarely had the luxury of indulging ourselves with wine, not the good kind anyway. But Mal, Alina, and I found ways to sneak a dish or two. My sister and friend never liked the taste of the bitter beverage but drank it anyway so as not to ruin my joy of the holy day.

Thinking of my twin now when I know she left me, stirs an emotion more bitter than any wine could ever be. But I've never had one depressing Sankta Anastasia day and, Saints willing, this will not be the first.

I woke up alone, the black sheets beside me cool to the touch. It may not have been an ideal start but Aleksander is not the only thing in my life that brings me joy. So instead, I got ready for the day and found myself in the domed hall with the other Grisha.

"Why are you glowing, Lana?" Marie inquires.

"Am I?" I jump and look at my hands, "No, I'm not."

She just laughs and replies, "Poor choice of words. I mean, why are you so happy today?"

I chuckle too and answer, "Today is the feast of Sankta Anastasia, my favorite saint."

"I didn't know that!"

Before I can nod and elaborate further, Zoya interrupts, "Shame we don't normally celebrate it in the Little Palace then."

Knowing that she just wants a reaction, I hum, "Oh, Zoya. Shame that I don't care. Really I enjoy our battle of wills but even you can't ruin this day for me."

Ivan saunters up to the spot across from me with perfect timing. He lets a small grin grace his features, "Moya soverenaya, General Kirigan wanted me to inform you that he has several surprises in store for you today."

I raise an eyebrow and decide to use this opportunity to irk the Squaller, "How kind of him. I was wondering why he left our bed so early today. It was unusual but now it makes sense. Can you give me a hint or two, Van the man?"

He smirks and nods, "Better than that. Your first gift should occur any minute now, Lana."

Then, without another word, he bows and walks away.

I notice Zoya's clenched jaw but only enjoy it for a moment before the servants rush out into the hall. They deposit small dishes of red wine to everyone but when they place mine in front of me I am also given a red rose with a note.

Quickly, I read Aleksander's elegant handwriting.

For my favorite star,

If I recall correctly, today is the feast of Sankta Anastasia. Enjoy your first gift. Do let everyone know the occasion and join me in our quarters for dinner this evening.

Your beautiful monster

My heart swells. I never would have guessed that the Darkling could be so sweet. Of course, I'm not stupid enough to believe it's because he's kind. The man spoils me because I am his and he wants to keep it that way.

Typically, I would worry that this type of relationship is toxic but the small manipulation goes both ways. He's calculating, cruel, and possessive. I'm cunning, wicked, and just as possessive of him as he is of me. Therefore, I usually ignore the fact that his sweet gestures are mostly well-thought-out plans to ensure I don't leave him. Just like I am now.