Chapter 12

Y/N POV

You wake up early. The whole night you've been tossing and turning in your sleep. Your mind running a hundred miles per second. Lizzie's behavior yesterday confused you but that wasn't the reason for your sleepless night. You take a look at your phone. 5:15 am. Today's the fourteenth of July. Your heart sinks as you see the date and you clench your jaw trying to suppress the upcoming emotions. There is no way that you would work today. You grab your phone and text Jamie knowing he is probably already awake.

You
Hey Jamie, you said that you thought about becoming a bodyguard too, could you maybe be Lizzie's bodyguard for today? I won't make it to work today.

Jamie
Yeah, sure. Are you okay though? Do you want me to come over later?

You leave him on read and text Lizzie instead.

You
Hey Lizzie, unfortunately I can't work today. I'm feeling sick, but I organized someone to protect you for today. He's a friend from the Army, you can trust him.

You turn your phone off and toss it away. The first rays of sunshine peek through the curtains causing your room to glow warmly. You stand up and close the blinds. Darkness fills the room and your eyes need a moment to adjust. You walk lazily in the kitchen and decide to eat something. Nothing special, just cornflakes with milk. Memories try to flood your mind and you try your hardest to push them back. You grab a bottle of whiskey and your bowl with cornflakes and sit down on the couch to watch some tv.
Figures dance in front of your eyes. They fight and they love. Shadows fade and the light wins. You don't really pay attention to the shows that play out for hours in front of you, but the one thing you notice is, that there is always a happy ending. You scoff and take a sip of the whiskey.
"There are no such things as happy endings." You say to the tv as it could respond to you and agree with you, that all the shows are just lying. You drink more whiskey.
As you stand up from the couch you sway a little and have difficulties to find your balance. You walk to the kitchen but stumble and bump into the dresser on which is the group photo of your troop. It falls down and the glass shatters.
"God damn it.", you mutter and kneel down. You take the framed picture in your hand not caring about the shards that dig into your skin. A single tear falls down on the photo. Your vision gets blurry as your breathing starts to get faster. You take another sip of the whiskey and the memories you tried so hard to suppress begin to flood your mind.

Flashback: Afghanistan 2 years ago

"Come on, Y/N!", the blonde girl tries to pull you up.

"I don't want to go.", you complain but sit up.

"Oh yeah? But you have to.", she comes up to you and straddles your lap. You put your arms around her waist and pull her closer.

"I prefer to stay in bed with you.", you smile.

"Trust me, there's nothing I'd rather do, but we have a mission."

You pout causing her to giggle. She cups your face and kisses you softly.

"Come on, it's an easy one. We'll be back in no time and then we can continue this."

She stands up, but you gently grab her wrist and pull her back to you.

"I love you, Casey.", you give her a smile. Your eyes showing nothing but pure adoration.

"I love you, Y/N."

You both get ready and head to your military transporter. Your troop is already waiting for you.
"Took you two long enough!"

"Ah, shut up, Jared!", you laugh.

Everybody gets in the transporter and you begin to drive to your destination. Half an hour later you arrive in front of a storage hall. There is evidence that this hall was used by Taliban as an operation base and you're supposed to gather any information you can get. You all get quickly off the transporter and begin to swarm the building, entering it form every entrance. Holding your gun with your right hand, you carefully open the door. Noone was surprised as you find the building empty. A few tables with papers spread out on them and a container stand in the room. But that's the only interesting thing. You begin to approach the tables and take a look. Someone wraps their arms around you from behind and rests their chin on your shoulder.