109. the dark mark

"YOU

"YOU...YOU'RE A FUCKING..." Claudia stammered out as her stepbrother stared into her eyes with an unreadable look on his face, the dark mark showcased before them as Claudia pulled up his sleeve.

"You're a fucking death eater," she said, backing off and not even attempting to hide the fury she felt. "Of course! I should've expected this! I mean Nolan was all cheery the last month of summer walking around and shoving it into my face to prove a point! Of course you are one too! Shit, I should've known you were just like the rest of them! Like I used to think. And now? Am I supposed to just trust you when in reality you're probably bringing me straight to my father so that he can-"

"Shut up," said Nicolas, slapping a hand over her mouth and walking further with her into the alleyway, something that only scared Claudia more which inevitably caused her to kick him on the leg.

"Do not fucking touch me," she said coldly, starting to walk off only for Nicolas to sigh audibly and grab her arm and drag her back. "Hey, idiot?! Do you not know English?! I said do not fucking touch-"

"Claudia, I need you to listen," Nicolas said, a deep frown on his face as he let go of her arm. "I need you to listen very carefully."

"And why should I do that?!" She questioned. "So that you can pass time whilst you wait for my father to arrive?!"

"Your father isn't coming here," Nicolas said, clearly annoyed. "I'm not tricking you into anything. I promise."

"You promise?" Claudia scoffed.

"I promise. Now, just hear me out, okay?"

"You want me to hear you out whilst you make a bunch of excuses to why you're apart of a fucking cult that kills innocent people?!"

Nicolas sighed again, his face turning into a grimace, "Sort of."

"Oh, piss off, Nicolas!" She said, walking off only for Nicolas to decide to talk instead of pulling her back.

"So what, you're just going to walk out there?" He questioned. "Whilst your father could be anywhere?"

"Well, I don't suppose I'm safe here either now, am I?"

Nicolas sighed for the millionth time that day, his mouth trying to get out what he meant to say.

And, eventually, he found the right words to some extent.

"It was for Regulus," he said, causing the girl to stop abruptly.

"What do you mean?" She asked, turning around.

"I only got it to protect Regulus."

"I really don't understand what you mean there."

"We're all practically forced into joining him. You will probably be too."

Claudia looked up into his eyes with a panicked look, "But I'm a halfblood."

"So is he."