17.

In the Salem's drive-thru, Asha sat listening to Sydnie catch her up on the plans for her 40th birthday gala next week

In the Salem's drive-thru, Asha sat listening to Sydnie catch her up on the plans for her 40th birthday gala next week. Asha was listening to her mom rant about the color scheme and how thick the crowd was supposed to be, but she was also focused on what she planned to order. She was stuck between her usual meal or trying out something new just because.

"Bug are you listening to me?" Sydnie's voice made Asha look away from the menu and to her phone that was mounted on the dash.

"Yes, you were talking about your old coworkers coming and how you're excited to see some lady. I'm listening."

"Well yeah...enough about the party. How has school been? Your internship? You okay?"

Asha nibbled on her nails, still scanning the menu. "School is cool I guess. I'm trying not to let it stress me out but I will be more than happy when this internship ends in May. I'm ready to just focus on these last few classes and walk the stage."

"Ahh! I can't wait to see my baby walk across that stage with her degree. It's been a long time coming."

"If you feel that way just imagine how I feel." Asha pulled up in the line and placed her order. She listened to her body and chose a breaded shrimp po-boy with everything on it.

"I know. At least you did your four years without boy drama and the other bullshit. It was smooth sailing but not smooth sailing. I had to deal with you, Ashton and school."

"Nobody told y'all to plan a baby at eighteen. Who does that?"

"We were in love chile. Just coming up with dumb ideas for the hell of it but we took care of you like we should have and now look at you. Thriving!"

"And is, but who told you I've dodged boy drama? Did I not tell you about my little broken heart last year? I got played like a board game but I kept it moving."

"No, you didn't! What happened?"

"I just gave him way too much space and opportunity to do as he pleased. But it's all good. I've learned."

"Is there a boy in your life right now? If so, you're being treated like you should be right?"

"I mean...." Asha drug out. "There is someone but I can't say much of nothing right now because it's really not a thing forreal. I don't know. We're in the I like you, you like me but let's take it slow stage. And to be honest I don't know if it's an exclusive take it slow or take it slow and keep my options open. It's some gray area."

"Well y'all need to clarify that before drama of assumptions come into play. Assumptions will make an ass outta both of you."'