Chapter 19:: Confidence and Sass

Chapter 19// Confidence and Sass

“Lois, get on out here!”

I hear Jennifer’s voice and gulp, clutching my bare arms to try and prevent the goose bumps from reaching the skin. Come on Lois. You can do this! I straighten a little bit, but the blue bikini I’m wearing seems to shrink as I do, making me feel more self-conscious than ever. How am I ever going to step around this wall and face Jesse? I can see every single bruise on my leg (most of which I have no idea where from). The tiniest wobble of my thighs. I know for a fact that Rita works out almost every day: how will my tall body and flat chest ever compare to that? I close my eyes for a second and take a deep breath. You have nothing to be ashamed of. Be the confident, sexy girl you were when you took that body shot off Warren.

Show Jesse that you aren’t ashamed of who you are.

Gritting my teeth in determination, I step out from behind the wall and approach the pool. Jennifer and Anne are both wearing black swimming costumes, and they’re struggling to pull the waterproof cover over Jennifer’s air cast currently. Jesse meanwhile, is leant casually against the side of the pool, treading water. His hair is darker due to the moisture, his eyes squinted as he watches me approach. I walk proudly towards him, ignoring the tingle of his gaze on my skin. That’s it girl. Jesse smirks as I slide into the pool beside him. The water is cool at first, but I quickly adjust.

“Heya, crocodile.”

I roll my eyes, and turn around in the water to face Jesse. “Hi.”

“No Lois, you ruined the inside joke,” Jesse whines, splashing me a little. “You were meant to say alligator. C’mon- it’s our thing!” I snort with laughter at how childlike he sounds, but I can’t ignore the buzz of happiness I feel in my chest when he says our thing. It’s cheesy, but so cute to hear.

“Don’t splash me,” I stick my tongue out to him, pushing a small wall of water back towards him, “God. Stupid amphibians these days,” I drawl sarcastically. Jesse smirks, his eyes glinting mischievously as he pushes his hands into the water. Without any warning, I’m engulfed by a wave of water for a few horrible seconds, until I finally take a gasp for air and open my slightly stinging eyes. “You just splashed me!” I accuse. Jesse grins adorably, the dimples shining through in his cheeks. Of course, I don’t see them for long before I splash him back twice as hard as he splashed me. My long hair is now plastered to the side of my face, and I’m pretty sure I look like a drowned rat. Or maybe a cat. Possibly a bat, although I doubt they’d be drowned easily.

I shake my head to rid of my strange thoughts. I think I drank too much of mom’s iced tea this morning. I should’ve known it looked suspicious. Now I’m thinking about drowning bats.

“Lois,” I feel fingers snap in front of my face and my eyes dart to Jesse who is watching me curiously, less than a foot away from my face. My breath hitches in my throat. “You zoned out,” He explains, “Look what Anne’s doing!” He points over at Jennifer and Anne, and I go to look, but I can only gaze for about three seconds before his giant head is in the way again, blocking me.

“What are you doing?” I say, leaning either side to try and get a decent look at what Anne and Jennifer are doing. What if they’re doing something important? Do they need help? “Dude,” I scowl at Jesse, “You’re blocking the view.” I shove on his chest lightly, using it as support as I try to peer over his shoulder. My eye level is about the middle of Jesse’s nose, so I can peer over his shoulder easily normally, however his tickling hands are making it somewhat difficult. His breath is hot as he laughs down my shoulder at my attempts.

“I am the view.” I can practically hear the smirk in his voice, and I roll my eyes plafully. Finally, he stops shoving me in different directions and allows me to peer over his shoulder. It’s only then that I see…that there is nothing to see. Anne and Jennifer are just sat by the side of the pool discussing something. Nothing out of the normal. Either I missed something, or he just did that on purpose. But why would he do that? I blush at the possibilities.