Eight

Baby girl you went to hell and came back with angel wings.

Track 9; All I Got by Oliver Tree
✦ ✧ ✦ ✧ ✦ ✧ ✦ ✧ ✦ ✧ ✦ ✧ ✦ ✧

Hawks had to double check that he was at the right penthouse when he arrived home the next day. He had dropped onto the patio with a takeout bag swinging in his hands, whistling a tune to himself when he saw you on your hands and knees in the living room ferociously scrubbing at a stain on the wooden floorboards. He watched quietly with a curious gaze as you paused to scrutinize your work. It was obviously to your satisfaction when you gave a sharp nod of approval and jumped to your feet and stretched your wings, vanishing out of his sight and into the kitchen.

Much unlike himself, Hawks removed his boots before stepping through the sliding glass door. From how spotless the living room looked he wasn't willing to put you in a bad mood after you'd worked so hard to make sure there wasn't a lick of dust anywhere in the house. He made sure to scan the floor for any wet spots or the cat lounging about as he made his way across the floor he could now see his reflection in to put his boots in their designated location.

"What are you up to?" He inquired as he stood in the entrance to the kitchen, listening to the sound of Yoshio's burly paws smack against the floor as he approached with a meow.

"I thought your place was due for a spring cleaning." You replied, turning on the sink to wash the dishes.

"Spring started a month ago." He responded, crouching down to pick up the cat that demanded his attention.

"Well it's still spring." You snapped back at him, running the dirty plates under hot water.

He refused to take a step into the kitchen, believing that you'd yell at him if he even breathed on the tile. "I may have my blond moments but I can tell when something's wrong."

You gave a heavy sigh of defeat, feeling the need to vent boil in your chest as you dropped the sponge in the sink and turned to face him. "I'm super stressed out about this investigation. Why do they want to cover up arson with an electrical fire? Also because I no longer have a job I'm just trying to keep my hands busy, hence the stress cleaning. I'm losing my mind being stuck in your house without having anything productive to do."

A large grin crossed his face when a figurative lightbulb appeared above his head. "Why don't you become a hero?"

A solemn look crossed your face and you turned back to the dishes. "I can't."

"Aww," he pouted, letting Yoshio jump from his arms when the cat began struggling in his grip. "Why not? Wouldn't it be fun to kick ass together?"

You paused, tilting your head slightly. "It does sound fun, but my father was a hero." You dropped your gaze again to mindlessly run the sudsy sponge around the rim of a bowl.

"That just sounds like more motivation to follow after him." Hawks commented, drumming his fingers against the counter as he cautiously closed the distance between you and him.

You put the last dish you rinsed into the dishwasher, pushing the buttons to start its cycle before drying your hands with a towel. "I'm sure you've heard of the Pro Hero Starbreaker?"

"That's the hero that worked alongside Endeavour, right? He vanished on a mission?" Hawks questioned to clarify as he jumped up to sit on the counter.

"Yeah. He was my father." You confirmed his assumptions and sighed, crossing your arms over your chest. "That mission he disappeared on was only supposed to take three days. We all thought he had died until a few months later where rumors were spread that there was a villain running around with his quirk." You looked up to see Hawks watching you intently, waiting for you to finish. "Long story short, I watched my mom die in front of me trying to defend his name."

His face paled and he slid off of the counter, coming to stand in front of you. "That's horrible, (Y/N)." Hesitantly he rested his hands on your shoulders, unsure if you'd give him permission to comfort you.

He was relieved when you rested your head on his chest, letting your arms wrap around his waist as the faint sound of his heartbeat resonated in your ear. "I'm not sure if he's alive or dead, but I sometimes hope that he did die on that mission. That way I know that neither of them have to be alone anymore." You knew it was childish to think of that being their happy ending, reuniting in the afterlife after spending so many years apart on Earth but it was one of the only things that kept you going in life; the thought of them watching over you.

There was a comfortable moment of silence before Hawks broke it, one of his hands rubbing the small of your back. "If there's a chance that he's still alive, don't you want to try and look for him? If he isn't, you could at least try to figure out what happened to him."

You hummed gently under your breath as you mulled over his words, soothed by his gentle touch. "I'd have to think about it." You didn't give him the chance to ask about hero work before you piped up again. "Let me sleep on the hero thing, okay?"

Anything that you said after that went in one of Hawks' ears and right out the other. He was pleased with the thought of you considering his offer, knowing that you'd be working alongside him a majority of the time.

He was already planning your hero outfit.

✦ ✧ ✦ ✧ ✦ ✧ ✦ ✧ ✦ ✧ ✦ ✧ ✦ ✧
words; 979