CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR.

IT WASN'T UNTIL SHE REACHED the bottom of the hill that Liliya noticed the burns that spread across her hands and crawled up her sleeves. Her skin was peeling and patchy but she ignored the burning sensation. It was nothing compared to what she had felt the past year. It was nothing compared to the pain she had to suffer. It barely scratched the surface.

But as she walked back up to the village and came upon Aleksander, he - of course - became worried. Though Liliya wasn't sure if he was truly worried or he didn't want one of his weapons damaged. She didn't care either way. The frown on his lips as he grabbed her hands gently made her heart melt. His eyebrows furrowed.

"Who did this?" He questioned. Liliya glanced back at the woods, wondering if she should admit the truth. Admit what Lev had come back to do. Someone would discover him sooner or later and if she told him now, he may just be proud.

"I did. I burnt Lev alive. I simply got caught in the cross-fire," Liliya explained as she lifted her hands away from him. The sun had risen during her walk back and she spotted Ivan assisting David back to his feet. The pair didn't look happy but Aleksander hadn't noticed. His hands instead moved to push the sleeves up her arms, trying to see the extent of her injuries.

"And why did Lev return?" Aleksander questioned. His hands fell from hers and she adjusted her sleeves and cloak before turning away towards Ivan and David. The two had spotted Liliya and Aleksander and were waiting for their leaders to return to them.

"To kill me. Roma decided against it. He grew a conscience after he sold me out to my father," Liliya explained as she walked closer to the pair. Aleksander only seemed to grow more displeased. His cloak billowing behind him as he strode across the cobbles.

"They stole-" Ivan attempted to explain but Aleksander cut him off with a snappy 'I know.' Liliya wasn't surprised by his frustrated tone. Not only had he lost the Sun Summoner but his carriage, horses and the criminals. Ivan hadn't even been competent enough to catch one of them. It was pathetic but Liliya decided to keep her thoughts to herself.

"It was the thieves," Aleksander added after a moment, glancing around the open space. The wall behind them was covered in thorned bushes and Liliya had half a mind to throw Ivan into it for his inadequacy but Aleksander showed no distaste so Liliya wouldn't either.

"I'll find a horse and I can catch up to them." Ivan suggested quickly. The redhead scoffed, turning her head away from him. The whole market square was quiet in the early morning hours. Nobody dared go near the General and his Grisha. They were all too scared especially after the Grisha had attacked the group the previous night. Anyone with half a brain would stay inside.

"No, it's a waste of time. She's not with them," Aleksander said quickly. Liliya nodded in response. The few trails she found indicated someone had gone away into the woods but Lev had distracted her before she could fully trace them. Lev always had a knack for coming at the wrong moment. Only this time it ended with him burnt to a crisp rather than an unsatisfied boyfriend, "She's on her own and our priority now is to locate her as quickly as possible." Liliya could see that Aleksander was anxious to find her. He hid it well and to the untrained eye, it would look calm and collected but he was her husband, she knew him better than anyone.