Don't Push

Mackenzie

Life lately hasn't been very exciting, I've been doing small make up gigs for runways, some local commercials, and more than enough weddings. I've been hanging out with Sarah a lot though, Victoria has been so busy with all the work she's been doing and the preparations for her gallery. I haven't seen Harry in a while, partly because he's been trying to pour himself fully into writing, but I know there's more to it than that. I pulled out my phone and sent him a text asking if he wanted to hang out and get some lunch, I figured it would be a good time to catch up.

I just recently started dating this amazing guy that I met when I went to the bar a couple weeks ago with Sarah and it's been an amazing month. His name is Ben, and he's truly so sweet and treats me with such care, and attentiveness, he's treated me better, in just one month, than any of my past relationships. I know it's still early, but I really hope he sticks.

My phone rang letting me know Harry texted me back just to say "no thanks, I'm not really in the mood for company.."

So I slid my shoes on and grabbed my bag to go see him. This is the second time this week I got a response similar to this from him, so he really doesn't get to not be 'in the mood' anymore because I'm getting worried.

The drive to his house was a little over half an hour, it would've been faster but I was hungry and needed to stop at McDonald's because I know Harry probably won't want to get any food, and I've seen his fridge... he has awful taste, it's mostly plant based foods, and other healthy options, I get that he has to stay in shape to be able to do as much as he does, but there's no way that shit will make me as happy.

I knocked on his door and took a minute before I heard the locks starting to click and the door opened. When he saw me in the door he sighed and rose an eyebrow.

"This is the opposite of what I said." He stated and I shrugged and pushed past him into his house and made myself comfy on the couch while he re-locked his door. He was wearing baggy black shorts and a white t-shirt, his hair was pulled back into a small bun at the back of his head and his eyes looked heavy and tired, with dark circles under them. He came and took a seat on the other side of the couch and turned his body to me.

"I brought you some French fries." I told him and held the slightly rolled McDonald's bag out and placed it on the coffee table as he nodded. The room fell quiet and I took a look around, the tv had his paused show on Netflix displayed, showing me he was well into season 2 of 'Schitt's Creek'. "Are you okay?" I asked him and turned my attention back to him, he took a deep breath and nodded slowly, I cocked an eyebrow and tilted my head knowing he was lying. "Whats been up?" I asked softly.

"Nothin'." He told me and he shook his head and and scrunched his nose quickly before he brushed it with his finger, and I learned a while ago that that was one of his tells. "Yanno, when I said I didn't want company, it's because I didn't want to talk to anyone." He stated and I rolled my eyes and waved him off.

"Yeah well, you haven't responded to me, Sarah, Mitch, or Jeff in almost a week so... that sucks." I stated and he huffed and leaned back into the couch.

"So this is a wellness visit?"

"No, this is me checking up on my best friend because I'm worried... and so is everyone else. So stop being a dick about and eat some fries." I demanded and he took a deep breath and pressed his lips together, he took a few fries from the box and took a bite. "What the fuck's been going on? You've got everyone all nerved out." I asked and he shook his head and sighed, turning his gaze to his hands as he fiddled with the French fry box.

"I just... I've been in a bit of a rut." He said lowly and I nodded.

"Have you been keeping up with your video calls with your therapist?" I asked and he tended up for a moment and gave me a small head shake. "Harry..."