Cordially Invited

I blinked into a brighter room than I was used to. The past two weeks I had awoken to complete darkness as I always kept the shades pulled and awoke at ungodly hours of the morning. I looked to the numerous windows, most with reading nooks that I was sure were rarely used for their intended purposes in this particular dorm room before I fully remembered where I was. For a moment, I felt my stomach twist with anxiety as I remembered that I had spilled everything to Fred last night.

No sooner had this thought crossed my mind, I felt his arms pull me closer to him as he breathed out a sleepy sigh. I laid still, not wanting to ever leave this bed, but still nervously awaiting the awkward encounter we would have when he woke up.

I peaked around the room, holding in a groan when I saw his roommates all fast asleep, knowing they had to have caught us in bed together last night, and that their minds would have gone to all of the wrong places.

"I can already hear you overthinking, it's interrupting my sleep." Fred's voice was rough with sleep and I felt a few butterflies race through my chest at the sound.

"I'm sorry." I let out a small laugh, turning to face him, his arms not letting go of me despite the movement.

"How'd you sleep?" He asked, covering a yawn with the back of his hand.

"Good. Really good... How about you?"

"Eh, had to share my bed with some Hufflepuff who has obviously gotten too accustomed to sleeping next to the kitchens." He smirked at my confused look. "Colder up here, yeah? Your fingers are freezing."

"I'm sorry." I pulled my hands away from him and tucked them under my arms to warm them up.

"Only kidding." He chuckled, sitting up from his bed to reveal his twin staring back at us.

"Morning." George smirked and I shoved my face into Fred's pillow. "Hey, not judging! They're comfy beds, anyone could fall asleep in them I'm sure." His voice sounded smug and I heard him stand and cross the room to the shared bathroom.

"He's kidding, Cass. Come on, you need breakfast. We missed dinner."

I dragged myself from the warm bed and unclasped my trunk, rummaging around for my robes and some makeup. I set my clothes on the top of a dresser and looked into the mirror, grimacing at the black and blue reflection I was met with.

I began dotting the first layer of concealer on the bruises when Fred appeared in the mirror behind me.

"You don't have to do that. No one will mention it, I swear-"

"Bloody Hell, Cassidy, what happened to you?" George exclaimed and I glared at Fred's reflection before he whacked George in the chest.

"Ow! Alright. I'll see you at breakfast, then." He looked confused and shot half a glare as he started down the stairs outside.

"No one else will mention it." Fred tried, but I shook my head, finishing my coverup.

Once we had both changed and pulled our shoes on, I followed the red head down the stairs, ignoring the few looks that were thrown our way as we exited the common room.

The bruises barely hurt anymore, so much that I could almost forget they were there. I sat through all of my classes without thinking about them even once, just satisfied to be back at school, back where I could focus on magic and homework instead of what would anger my father the least.

Harry, Ron and Hermione all welcomed me back with excited smiles despite us having to sit through over an hour of History of Magic in which Hermione had to kick both boys back awake twice. When Professor Binns finally released the class, we gathered all of our books into our arms and ran out to the hall.