Chapter Seventy-Eight: Chasing Innocence

-chapter seventy-eight-

FINN

Death, no matter friend or foe, would never be satisfying.

I staggered back, eyes wide and chest heaving. Death is pretty normal in this game and the player count keeps on decreasing at every city. Ngunit ang makita silang mamatay ng ganito. The brutality of it and even just the thought of a candle losing its light.

No one could ever be used to it.

May it be the thousand death I've witnessed, or the millionth. The sadness and horror will never fade.

"Sparrow."

Naestatwa ako nang marinig ang boses. Dahan-dahan kong ini-angat ang tingin kay Wes. Dierran stood beside him, looking just as shocked as us. They were on the third floor of the next building. Mukhang kakarating lang din nila dito. Ang nakakabahala ay ang napakalaking sugat na nasa kaliwang braso at binti nila.

Wes noticed what I was staring at and he shifted his position, hiding the injured arm.

"Ah. So that's the cursed bond, hm?" Kairo asked, rather unaffected by the turn of events.

The cursed bond? Ibig ba niyang sabihin ang nakuhang benefit ni Marcella where all the members in her alliance will be bonded by life? The pain and rewards a member will get shall also be shared by others, albeit in a small manner. And because Amnesia, one of the prominent members in the alliance, died, so shall Wes and Dierran be heavily injured.

"When I tortured one of your members, parang hindi naman kayo masyadong naapektuhan. So does it only activates when one of you dies?" Kairo raised his brow. After a few seconds of silence, he added, "C'mon, I'm just curious."

"That or if an important member is severely injured. Lalo na sa leader. Nakabase mostly sa importance ng member ang apekto." sagot ni Dierran. "The player your tortured mustn't be that close with Marcella."

"May close pala si Marcie. That's shocking." Kairo chuckled.

Talaga nga sigurong makapal ang mukha ni Kairo. Either that or his capability of reading the room is sometimes dull.

Si Wes, na hindi pinapansin si Kairo, ay nakatitig pa rin sa'kin. He jumped to the roof we're occupying and stalked straight to me. Ni hindi man lang niya sinulyapan ang kasamang namatay.

Muli namang hinatak ni Kairo ang braso ko bago pa makalapit si Wes. The Vanguard's strategist stopped in his tracks, eyes narrowing at Kairo's hand.

"Where are you taking her?" seryosong tanong ni Wes.

"Fern." Kairo called out, ignoring the other's question.

Isang babaeng may maiksing buhok ang biglang nagpakita. She has a couple of wounds and a cut on her lip. Mukhang napasabak din siya sa isang matinding laban. She greeted Kairo with a nod before walking towards Gavin and helping him up.

"Let's go." Kairo ordered with a pull.

"Wait, sandali, Kai. Saan mo dadalhin si Finn? Ako na sasama sa kaniya, ako naman dito BFF niya-"

"Stop." Wes cut Gavin off, holding a hand between Kairo and me. "She's not part of your alliance so why take her."

"Precisely because she's not part of my alliance and this territory is hers?" nakangising sagot rin ni Kairo. "Ano nga ba ang tawag dito. Hmm. Prisoner of war?"