Chapter Thirty Four

Ava

"All rise."

Harry and I stand along with everyone else in the courtroom, then we all take a seat once the judge enters. Soon follows the man being sentenced today: Alexander Cross.

For a moment, his eyes lock on mine and I stay emotionless. The last time I had spoken to him was degrading and downright disrespectful. There is no place for him to even stay in my mind much after today. He deserves to stay in prison for the rest of his life.

The trial begins and Gabriel Torres testifies first, explaining each instance he recalls. He follows his story, explaining each instance into extensive detail.

I watch Harry glance to me on numerous occasions, but I'm more focused on Alexander. His face has yet to falter from the glare plastered upon his features, and I'm not sure it will fade.

Bernadette Zetter follows to the stand, and they flash the photo I had taken of her wrists onto the screen, my nose releasing a deep breath.

To think that only a month ago, I was interviewing and talking with everyone going up to the stand. It felt like ages ago, but in actuality it wasn't. So many things have occurred since then, and time all seems to move quickly.

Watching Bernadette unfold on the stand, crying as she weeps for the loss of her friend. It's horrid to think that her jealous boyfriend could do such a horrific thing, all with the plan of winning her over. It's a sick situation; Alexander is a sick man.

I watch the prosecution bring up the recording of the confrontation of Alexander and Bernadette, my ears listening to it for the millionth time. It had been analyzed over and over, trying to find any discrepancies. The work I performed on this case was relentless, doing everything I could to pin him to the crime.

"The work of Lieutenant Nicks and Detective Styles proved how this man not only placed harm to his girlfriend, but showed his capabilities to harm Victoria Peters in a fatal way. It was wicked and vile, what he had done, and there are no excuses he can make to show he wasn't the one to have committed this crime," the prosecution states, taking a seat.

The defense comes up and I feel Harry nudge my knee with his own. It was light enough but enough to give me the sense he's just making sure I'm okay. I give him a nod of my head and watch the defense take a stand.

To say I'm in awe at the attempt is an understatement. There is no way the defense had any case to justify the murder of Victoria Peters. It's like watching a toddler talk in circles.

It's painful to listen to.

The judge calls for the jury to break and Harry and I go into the hall, grabbing a cup of coffee.

"How are you holding up?" he asks, and I nod my head as I take a sip.

"I'm fine," I say simply, his hand rubbing the top of my arm.

We hadn't spent time alone since I showed up at his house the night I got back from Denver. It's been so busy with Katrina's case that our time has been put on hold. Not that it should matter, but I've enjoyed spending time with him.

"Ava," I hear, my body turning to see Mr. Zetter. I shake his hand. He does the same with Harry.

"How have you been?" he asks me, and I shrug.

"Not too bad. We had another case open up shortly after Alexander's arrest. Hasn't been a dull moment," I say, and he smiles.

"How are you?" Harry asks, and Mr. Zetter nods.

"Not too bad. Joan was pretty shaken up for a while but our concern has been with Bernadette for weeks. She's been sick to her stomach with grief and the funeral was so sad. Victoria was a nice girl; it's a sick shame what happened," he says, and I nod.