Chapter Thirty Four

"Professor Bates?" Harry knocked on the door and it opened on its own. 

"Hello there Harry. Come have seat. Tea?" She offered and set two tea cups and the kettle onto her desk. 

"Thank you," He said and sat down across from her and blew on his tea. 

"So... How are classes going?" She asked. 

"Not too bad, I've really been struggling in divination. Professor Trelawney keeps predicting my death. Kinda makes it hard to focus." He told her. 

"I think she has predicted everyone in the castle's death. Last week she told me my arm was going to fall off and I was going to bleed to death. I believed her because... well ya know. But I'm fine now... sorta." She laughed nervously. 

"Dumbledore told me something... curious the other day and I can't stop thinking about it. That's why I wanted to talk to you." Harry told her and Clarice's smile faded. What could he have told him?

"And what was that?" She asked as her brows furrowed together. 

"Well... he didn't tell me anything just that you would be the one to tell me if something bad was going to happen." He said confused. "I'm sorry that didn't make any sense."

"No no. Dumbledore is right. Well..." She trailed off trying to rack her brain for the right way to tell him. 

"Harry, what I'm about to tell you is something that can't be shared." She started. 

"But I tell Ron and Hermione everything. Can they know? They wouldn't tell a soul." Harry interrupted her already. Clarice sighed and closed her eyes and when she opened them, she sent two paper planes out the door. 

"What did you just do?" He asked. 

"Sent an invitation for your friends to join us." She told him. 

"Oh right. Thank you." He said. The pair talked about quidditch until they heard a knock at the door. 

"Harry?" Hermione asked as she entered the room with Ron behind her. 

"What's going on here?" Ron asked. 

"Hi you guys. Come and take a seat." Clarice conjured two more chairs. 

"Professor Bates, it's nice to see you, but what is this about?" Hermione asked while she gave them some tea. 

"Well... I don't know how to exactly say this without coming off as a freak or something, but I guess I should just come and say it." She said.

"Say what?" Ron asked. 

"Harry, I reckon Professor Lupin told you he knew your father?" She asked. 

"Yes."

"Did he tell you that they were best friends?" She asked. 

"Not exactly."

"Your father was best friends with him, Sirius Black, and Peter Pettigrew." She said. 

"In fact, Sirius Black is your godfather." She said and let this new information sink in. 

"Sirius Black... is the reason they're dead. Isn't it?" Harry asked. 

"That's what everyone believes, but I have to admit. I think there's more to the story." Clarice said and at that moment, the door slammed open and Severus strode in. 

"Professor Snape, I believe I told you I was having an important meeting with the students tonight." Clarice stood up. 

"I'm aware." He grumbled.