chapter sixty three

21 January 1977

8:06 am

"Alright, settle down, settle down. Jolly good morning to you all! Today, we'll be working on garrotting gas, which I lectured about last class. Today, you will all be attempting to brew one of these potions. Get out your textbooks, find your ingredients, and begin. You have one hour," announced Professor Slughorn. It was just a normal day at Hogwarts, Ophelia started out with potions with the Hufflepuffs. Maisie, Ophelia's potions partner, went to grab the ingredients while Ophelia opened her book and began reading through the instructions.

It wasn't a very difficult potion, just tedious and time consuming, which left Ophelia and Maisie to have a long period of small talk.

"Jack is really good at football, he supports a team called Manchester United. It's a sport where you kick a ball around, it's quite fun, to be honest. When I go home for the holidays, he often makes me play with him, he always wins, of course, but it's pretty fun," Maisie was telling Ophelia about her little brother, Jack. "Tell me a bit more about your siblings, I don't really know too much about either of them."

"Well," started Ophelia. "There's Sirius, of course, my twin brother. He's rather reckless but he can be really funny. We're really close, like best friends, and we share almost all of our friends. Reggie, on the other hand, Regulus is a bit more reserved when he's with his friends. Sometimes at Gri- at home he can be a bit more outgoing when it's just the two of us, he's the kindest soul you'd ever meet. That boy would go to the moon and back for the people he loves."

After potions, which Ophelia and Maisie managed to brew a satisfactory garrotting gas, Ophelia and the Gryffindors had Charms with the Ravenclaws. They were learning the Vermillious spell, to shoot red sparks out of your wand. Usually, Ophelia paired up with Alice, Lily, or Marlene, but Professor Flitwick required them to work with someone from a different house for that lesson. Ophelia had chosen to work with Benjy Fenwick, the boy who taught her muggle healing spells. The two of them had proven to be a good team, both easily casting the charm within the first few tries. Perks of working with a Ravenclaw, thought Ophelia.

Lunch was soon after charms, Ophelia eating in the great hall with the Marauders and the sixth year Maraudettes. Ophelia watched Regulus walk into the hall, deep in conversation with a girl whom she'd seen in the corridors but had never learned her name. As soon as they got into the great hall, they parted ways, acting as if they were merely next to each other by coincidence, but Ophelia could tell the intrigue on Regulus' face was pure interest, even if his Slytherin friends couldn't notice.

Ophelia turned to Peter, who was currently stuffing his face with a ham and cheese sandwich. "Hey, Pete? Who's that girl over there? That blonde one over at the Ravenclaw?"

"Why?" smirked Peter. "You got a crush, Phee?"

"No, I don't fancy her. I just want to know who she is. I swear I've seen her in the halls, but I just realized that I don't actually know her name."

"She's the Leventis girl. Pandora, I think. Yeah, Pandora Leventis. She's an odd one, for sure. I think she's a fifth year, but I always see her in the potions room or talking to that batty old alchemy professor."

Why would Regulus be so involved in a conversation with Pandora Leventis? Especially one who's known to be odd, if his mates found out about his friendship with the girl, let's just say, it wouldn't be pretty. Ophelia made a note in her mind to ask him about it later.

Transfiguration after lunch wasn't too bad. They joined the Hufflepuffs once again and learned the spell to transfigure a goldfinch into a golden snitch. Big shocker, James excelled at that lesson. Finally, the Gryffindors had Care of Magical Creatures with the Slytherins as the last class of the day. It wasn't too bad, most of the Slytherins she disliked weren't in that class and just stuck with her Gryffindor friends while Professor Kettleburn taught about Knarls.