SS.1. An Interesting Kouhai

Horikita Manabu POV

April 1st.

the first day of my last year enrolling in Advanced Nurturing High School. The newly enrolled first years would enter this school most of them probably expecting to graduate with the highest acceptance rate, but as for my own experience, that certainly wasn't the whole truth.

When my homeroom teacher explained the point system for the first time, I was ashamed to say that I didn't suspect a single thing about the S-system, well at least not the first week. But of course, just because I didn't have any doubts about the system, doesn't mean I spent all my money instantly. I knew the benefits of saving and how spending could lead to bad habits that could affect me once I graduated from this school.

But week by week I was starting to notice some strange things. First, when I was grocery shopping, I noticed some things were sold for free. Why would the school give out free items when we were given an allowance equal to 100,000 yen? This is where my suspicions started.

Second, I observed my classmate's behavior during lessons. Most of them were mostly well behaved but they would talk with their friends while the teacher was giving us a lecture once in a while, sometimes even openly. Yet, the teacher never seemed to care about it, and unlike any other normal teacher, he simply just let it be.

Third, I saw that some upperclassmen were eating the free vegetable meals instead of the usual deluxe meal or any other food tray with meat on it. I noticed that most of them either came from class D or class C.

With all the information I gathered, I quickly encouraged my class to be on their best behavior. Most of them complied, though some of them didn't agree with me and continued to do as they pleased. When the next month came, we as class A were able to save around 800+ cp. I was glad that our behavior had not been the self-destruction of our class.

Looking back at the past, I have grown greatly compared to the person I was two years ago. I had made new allies, new friends, lost people, and now I would start my third and final year of this school being the reigning student council president.

If I had to say, my biggest regret would be appointing Nagumo Miyabi as Vice President. When I was a second-year running for student council president, Nagumo shocked everyone on how bold he was declaring he was running for president considering he was only a first-year at the time. We had different ideals but the same goal towards improving the school system. When the election was over, I had won most of the student body votes, but it was only by a slim margin.

I acknowledged his leadership skills since he was able to lead his class to class A despite being placed in a lower class. I acknowledged his intelligence and cunningness to devise strategies and his charisma which got him so many votes in the first place. I chose him as my Vice President hoping I could change his way of thinking and bring him to my side so when I leave this school, I would know that there would be someone who would continue what I've built and continue to progress the school while upholding traditional values, but alas, Nagumo never changed.

He wanted to turn this school into a true Meritocracy where only people he deem worthy would be transferred into class A erasing all competition. His influence in the student council also did not go unnoticed as he manage to convince the higher-ups to implement the OAA app or the overall abilities app. It is an app where displays each student's abilities assessment. It is based on school results in which if any student's overall ability score gets lower than the certain baseline, they will receive a penalty.

Sigh...

Well, there's no use reminiscing about past mistakes now. I have a meeting with the higher-ups in around ten to twenty minutes and I wouldn't like to be late. It was surprising considering this meeting wasn't planned nor did they give notice to me before a few hours ago. Whatever they wanted to discuss, it must've been something urgent.