Chapter 42

ASHER

I listen as she breathes in her sleep. She doesn't snore. I had lied about that. But watching her get so defensive was fun. Just like watching her scrunch her nose up when looking to the sky, or the way she always bit her lip when she was concentrating. I roll onto my back, leaving one arm pinned beneath her. I rub my hand over my face. I need to clear my thoughts and that is not possible while I am pressed up against her.

What do I want? What am I doing? My thoughts spin and change quicker than I can process them. I love Jess...right? I want to be with her. So why aren't I feeling guilty or uneasy about spending this time with Harper. And why do I feel sick at the thought of separating at the end of this adventure?

My fingers tangle in my hair as I try to literally rip the thoughts from my mind. I can't sleep. Harper stirs beside me and I freeze. Her body rolls to her back. I hold my breath. Maybe if I don't move, she won't get any closer.

With a long sigh and a lot of wiggling, Harper turns again, her arm resting across my stomach. The hand that was in my hair returns to my face as I try to think quickly. I lift her wrist and move it off of me, tucking it sweetly beside her.

NOPE.

She moves it back. "No, no, no," I whisper into the darkness.

I turn my head and look out the window. Maybe if I can concentrate on the rain then I'll be able to pry her off of me without regrets.

"Harper," I try to wake her. She's out cold.

Her left leg stirs and I worry where it is headed. I reach down protectively to cover myself. She's a feisty sleeper. Her leg slides up mine, her thigh stopping just beneath my finger tips. I blow out a breath, relaxing now that I know she won't be kneeing my junk.

She stirs again, this time her head moves to my chest, dragging her long, hair behind it. It's in my mouth. I freeze for a minute, both arms up in the air as to not startle her awake and also in shock that this is happening. After a moment when she's settled again, I brush her hair from my face, trying to be gentle as I tuck it behind her head. She makes me smile.

I'm unsure what to do with my arms, but they have to go somewhere.

"Harper," I whisper more loud this time. I would hate for her to wake up in a different position and not be ok with us touching this way. I'm all about consent.

"Harper," I try again.

She stirs and lifts her head barely. We are eye to eye, our mouths so close I could reach my tongue out and trace her bottom lip—but I don't.

"What?" she answers half asleep still. It takes her a second to realize what she's done. "Oh my God," she says startled. She moves to untangle herself.

"I don't mind. Just want you to be sure..." I don't get to finish.

"I'm sure," she replies sleepily. "Just keep me warm."

I let my hands fall to her back, still not sure if this is the right thing given her state. Is she really awake enough to make this decision?'

"And Asher," she says, her voice rough from sleep.

"Yes?"

"If I snore it's your fault." She rests her head back on my chest. After a little adjusting she's back to sleep. 

****I hope you are enjoying the story! Please remember to vote and comment. I love hearing your thoughts :)