7

He did it.
Aniruddh was now leaning on the door outside Bondita's room. He had had the most difficult conversation with Bondita yet and it had ended well. He knew there must still be questions in her mind but she had not probed further. She understood the jist of the conversation.
1. No need to be alone with a man who is not your husband for her own protection.
2. She could say no to her husband, he did not own her.

Yes... that's it. That should be enough for now. Satisfaction written on his face he went to his own room.

Kakaji had fallen into a habit of sharing his concern for his son's married life to Thakuma. They shared a strained past but had found a common ground. Their children. Thakuma knew of the non existent married life of her grand daughter even after so many years of marriage. Given if she had matters in her hand, she would never have let Bondita get married to a Roy Chowdhury but what was done was done. She had accepted the fate but she could not accept was that another girl of her family was soon to fall prey to the same fate as her's. If this went on, Bondita would soon be a 'chhodi hui aurat' again. A woman not able to garner the affection and attention of her husband can't provide him with a child and that would ultimately lead her to be kicked out.

No. This won't do.
She had somehow made a notion in her head that it is Bondita's fault for not being able to attract Aniruddh, that is why, afterall, he went ahead and brought another wife. She didn't believe all that bullshit that he did it for Bondita. Bondita was lucky to get out of this mess for once but what if she found herself in the same position again ? She had to do something to cover up that Bondita lacked certain virtues. She was a woman now, she had to act like one too. Her childhood days were over.

Trilochan Roy Chowdhury was disturbed enough to share today's events with Kalindi.

" Aniruddh still thinks she is a child, keeps scolding her, teaching her as if he really is only her teacher. What to do ? He does lock the room but to give her lectures, he does visit her at night but to sing lullaby. "

Thakuma always got agitated hearing about them. What was wrong with Bondita ? Did she not love her pati babu ? He could leave her again. Why does not she try to attract him? She might not know how. Stupid girl.

" Why don't you try that herb ladoo again ? You have done it once."

" No no no...! I did it and was at receiving end of a loudspeaker for a week. I can't do it again."

Chicken

" Send them to Krishnanagar for a few days. They both are busy there with their own work. They will have some time each other here. Bondita's birthday is approaching. Let us have the opportunity to celebrate our daughter's birthday. And who knows...a little change of scenery, a little alone time... could do what your ladoo could not ?"

Trilochan was looking forward to Bondita's birthday for a long time. But this was more important. He agreed.

It was announced on the dinner table that the couple would be celebrating Bondita's birthday at krishnanagar.

Bondita didn't know to be happy or not. She really was happy that she would be with her mother as well as pati babu on her birthday but she didn't know why her kaka sasurji wanted to send her away. Did he not want to celebrate ?

It came as a shock to Aniruddh too. He knew , along with his baba that kaka had been planning the celebration for weeks. Then why the sudden change ?
He looked at his baba who looked quite... unaffected.

Kaka had already informed Binoy of his plan and he approved. His son should be done with his krantikari thoughts by now. It was high time. Aniruddh's fitoor was increasing day by day and he needed to be tied down. Who better than his wife ?

" Baba..."

" He is right. Bondita has celebrated every birthday here. She must also wish to spend a birthday with her mother, her family. For once let her have that. "

" But sasurji...my family here..."

" Oh ho boudi..." Som interrupted. " Dada will accompany you. You won't miss us. You sometimes even forget your mother when you are with him."

This earned him a slap on his head form his Dada.

" Kaka...! Look at your dearest son...!" It was no secret. He had not set out to tease his Dada but it was turning out to be fun. He was already at the receiving end, might as well stretch it a bit.

" You remember Batuk ? She came back from her mother's house three days earlier because Dada had to go out of tulsipur for a night for a case ? " This made Bondita red in the face.
" Who will pack is clothes ? Bhari babu doesn't know what books he reads on road. And what not. Like no body can care for Dada well enough. And Dada you didn't oppose her much I can remember."

Aniruddh was about to get up and this time give a proper beating to his brother but was silenced by kaka.

It was true though, she had been out of his sight for 7 days already. He had wanted to see her and so did not oppose her silly feat. Though he was quite sure he hid his happiness very well that time.

Apparently not.

" It is settled, you both will leave for krishnanagar."

Aniruddh knew what all he might have to face there which was precisely every thing he wanted to keep Bondita away from. But how could he keep her away from her family ?

They would be leaving soon.

"Prepare yourself Aniruddh, no... jamaibabu." Aniruddh sighed.