23

Seeing Xiao Zhige carry his spear back to the main room, Zhou He Lan hesitated before lifting his heels to follow him.

Although he could not figure out what he had done to annoy Wangye, from the days he had stayed in the Wang Manor, he had witnessed that the Northern Warlord was not cruel and unreasonable like what he had heard outside. Moreover, he was Wangfei's person. With Wangye's affection towards Wangfei, he was quite certain that Wangye would not dare to cross Wangfei and get rid of him.

After reassuring himself, Zhou He Lan was more confident with his footsteps and briskly walked behind Xiao Zhige.

An Chang Qing had just changed into a dark brocade robe with moon embroidery which was also sent from Tian Yi Fang. The price was not high but the quality and workmanship were excellent. For the winter, the garment was even lined with a layer of wool. Putting it on An Chang Qing, the garment's elegance was amplified, giving it a stylish look.

Xiao Zhige admired him in silence. He swept a quick look past Zhou He Lan at the door and asked, "Are you going to hand out porridge again today?"

"No," An Chang Qing straightened the jade pendant at his waist and smiled at him, "Yesterday, we posted a list to recruit new staff. There were many signups and we're going to the shop to pick a few."

Xiao Zhige thought and said, "I'll go with you."

Hm? An Chang Qing looked at him in surprise then frowned awkwardly. With Xiao Zhige's intimidating face, An Chang Qing was quite reluctant to take him to the store. Having him there while he was hiring would probably scare the applicants away.

But certain words shouldn't be too straightforward, so An Chang Qing said, "Wangye is not busy today? I'm afraid there's too much to be done at the store and it'll take a while."

An Chang Qing was hoping that Xiao Zhige would understand that he was trying to tell him to be occupied with something else but Xiao Zhige nodded and said expressionlessly, "It's no problem. Let's go."

An Chang Qing, "..."

Seeing him standing at the door like a warden, An Chang Qing could only relent and take him to Tian Yi Fang with Zhou He Lan.

At Tian Yi Fang, there was a long line of people waiting, more than they had expected. An Chang Qing told Anfu to open the door and let them in.

The group of people were eagerly whispering, awaiting An Chang Qing's arrival. Seeing him walk in, they swarmed towards him, hoping to get a chance to talk to Wangfei. But the moment they saw Xiao Zhige standing only a step behind, they froze on the spot and the place turned silent.

An Chang Qing tucked the corner of his mouth. This was why he did not want to bring Xiao Zhige along. But since it had come to this and the person was already sitting down, it was useless to mull over it. An Chang Qing pretended that everything was as usual and had Anfu collect the resumé of the applicants.

A total of fifteen people came to apply for the store manager position but due to what had happened before, his hiring criteria were a lot higher and, in the end, An Chang Qing only picked out five. After which, it was Zhou He Lan's turn to wiggle down the number.

The five who were chosen were elated. It was just that after the screening, they felt the cold stare from Wangye from time to time and shuddered. Even the hand holding the brush was shivering uncontrollably. They looked at each other and sighed inwardly.

Clearly, Wangye did not come several days ago, why did he have to come today, and cause them to feel so terrified that they dared not say much to Wangfei? What bad luck!

The Wangye sitting high above did not know that he was being complained about. He did not take part in the management of the store and could only sit idly by and listen to An Chang Qing and Zhou He Lan discussing the most suitable candidate to hire.