Chapter 6

Pyro scares me.

Pyro vision users are known to be passionate, fiery, and brave. Y/n is passionate, yes. Passionate to teach the children of the harbor.

"I'm sorry," Y/n mumbled.

Her head rested on his chest, fist clenching the front of his nightshirt.

"You don't have to apologize, darling," Zhongli assured. "You saved us in the end, darling. Some were injured but it wasn't severe."

"First and second-degree burns," she whispered. "Across their arms, legs, even their faces."

"I-I hurt them."

She took a few days off from work to gather her thoughts. Some parents and children came by to see her bearing gifts. They remained unopen, sitting on the top of the table.

Footsteps stopped by the door leading out to the backyard. Zhongli opened it and stepped through, his gaze immediately zeroing in on his wife. She sat under the tree, shielded by the shadow of it.

"Darling?"

Y/n didn't move, not even when he sat down beside her.

"Y/n," Zhongli softly said, gently reaching over to brush her hair out of her face. "Will you speak to me, darling?"

Y/n sniffled and moved to sit in his lap. Her head rested against his chest, fist clenching down on the fabric of his shirt.

"I'm sorry."

Zhongli softly sighed, leaning down to softly kiss her forehead.

"My darling, my dearest. You don't have to keep apologizing. What's done is done, you can't change the past."

"But I-"

Zhongli pulled her head away from his chest, gently cupping her cheeks.

"Don't blame yourself, Y/n. Believe me, I would've done something too if it were not for you."

_______

After that day, Y/n returned to teaching again. The children were so excited and happy to see their favorite teacher again. To the children and to the parents, even to the locals, she appeared to be normal.

To Zhonglil...

He knew better, he can tell. The light in her eyes has dimmed, not fully out, but dimmed nonetheless. It's concerning to see her act like she's fine on the outside, but it's greatly affecting her within her.

"Darling?"

"Hmm?"

Y/n glanced over her shoulder, lowering the brush down from her hair.

"What's wrong?"

Zhongli quietly approached her, gently taking her hand.

"Are you alright?" He softly asked. "You've changed, darling dearest."

Y/n looked away from his gaze. His free hand caught her chin and turned her back to look at him again.

"You know you can always talk to me about this, don't you?"

"I know," she murmured. "B-but...it still scares me, even now. I can see it every time my eyes close."

Zhongli gently rubbed her cheeks and softly kissed her.

"I'll be with you, every step of the way. No matter how long it takes, I will be there with you, holding your hand."

And he did. After another month, during the Lantern Rite, Y/n had freely used her vision for a traditional dance performed during the festival. Adorning a traditional Liyunian Cheong-nam, the colors represented her well. Gold, orange, and red. Every movement reminded Zhongli of a small flame, lit, and dancing in the wind.

Grow, darling. Grow stronger and braver. Bring the courage you had lacked to reality. You may be a small ember, glowing in the dark, but someday...that flame will grow into something larger than you would ever think.