Chapter 121

Zara POV

I lay on my bed staring at the ceiling. I was getting too used to this ceiling now. The hospital ceiling was becoming my reminder that I am such a charity case.

I didn't know what else to do. I was almost all healed up.

Every time I saw this ceiling, it was like my mind had a reset. I just... wanted to leave.

I was contemplating my options when the door was pushed in and Zarine walked in.

I smiled warmly sitting up.

"It's been a while since I have seen you," I told him as he set down a picnic basket. That wasn't true. I just saw him last week. But it was more fun to tease him. My mom must have sent that with him thinking it would help with my wish to go out. A picnic in a hospital. It was a poor choice.

"What? You found a girlfriend so you don't have time for the rest of us anymore?" I teased and he scowled.

He laid out the contents of the basket perfectly on the table.

"Raven's feeling better." He said as if he knew I wanted to know about her. She had been looking like a zombie these past few days. Not much better than Blaze. I had forced her to go sleep. Zarine wasn't much better either. They had made me promise that the next time I would include them in my escapades. I had nodded even though we all knew I wouldn't take them to the vampire colonies let alone allow them entry.

Zarine took small bites off his sandwich and we made small talk for a while. We talked about his life with Jason and how he was thinking of starting school, the subjects he wished to take, and the friends he wished to make. I couldn't help but tease him about finding his mate. He had blushed and swatted at me for that.

He told me Jaso n and the gang were coming around too. That he could feel the guilt in the air every time I was mentioned. It smiled at that.

His orange hair was similar to mine, every time I saw it couldn't resist rubbing it.

It was a while before he left. He left after giving me a pointed look to not get into any trouble. That kid was getting too smart for his good. The nurses burst in after that making sure all my vitals were alright and then left too. They were extra precautious thanks to Blaze's warnings and threats to the hospital. 

The same lonely darkness descended again. And it was just the ceiling and I, again.

I lay there staring at it for a while before making up my mind. I didn't care what they all said I was getting out of here. Period.

I grabbed a jacket and sneaked out. Blaze knew me all too well so I knew he had stationed guards around here. So going out the front wasn't an option. I just jumped out the window, landing softly on my feet.

I wobbled for a bit. My legs weren't used to holding my weight let alone a jump. Blaze wouldn't even let me get the slightest bit of exercise. If I was at Sam's I would be back into my usual schedule by now. 

Sam...

I closed my eyes, to erase him from my mind. When I felt better I took off for the woods.

I was glad I had grabbed a spare jacket. The air was very chilly.

I made my way towards the edge of the woods and had a leisurely walk/run to the packhouse. I tried tempting Zian to shift and take over, runs were her favorite after all but there was no response. It's been a while she responded. I missed her. Soon she would just fade into the background of my mind and I wouldn't even know she was there. She was dormant. Hibernating.