1│SHOW ME THE LOVE

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

❛ ᴏᴄᴇᴀɴ ᴇʏᴇꜱ​​​​​​​​​​. ❜ ° . ༄
- ͙۪۪˚   ▎❛ 𝐎𝐍𝐄 ❜   ▎˚ ͙۪۪̥◌
»»————- ꒰ sʜᴏᴡ ᴍᴇ ᴛʜᴇ ʟᴏᴠᴇ ꒱

❝ WE ARE NOT A COUPLE! ❞

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

[summer 1999]

"'Are you sure you don't want to live with us again?'" Topanga asked when Juliet had called to check in on her; they'd moved on from talking about her parents to the upcoming school year.

"I'm sure, Panga. It's. . . kind of awkward between me and Angela so I think it'd be best if I roomed with someone else," the redhead replied. She was holding the phone against her shoulder as she stirred her pasta.

"'We could talk it out,'" the other girl suggested. "'I could really use all of the female support that I have right now.'"

"I know, and I am here for you. I'm just here for you across the hall or on another floor. Besides, three to a room was kind of cramped."

"'You know that you're my best friend. Right, Peaches? I'm not choosing Angela over you'"

"I know," she repeated as she tapped her spoon against the pot to get rid of the excess water. "But I think it's best if it's like this. It's still hard for me to see him especially when he's right next door." She didn't need to clarify which him she was talking about.

"'If you're sure,'" Topanga said in a regretful tone. "'I just don't want you to think that I'm kicking you out. . .'"

"I get it," Juliet reassured her. "Don't worry about it. I'm already on the hunt for a new roommate so hopefully I'll find one soon."

"'Alright, Peaches. Let me know if you need help, yeah? I could use something else to think about and I'd be happy to make the switch easier for you. I know how much you don't like change.'"

"I'll be fine, I promise." The prospect of the unknown was nerve-wracking but it was better than her other option.

"I'll see you soon, then?"

"Definitely," the redhead replied as she turned off the stove. "School starts in only a few weeks. Call me if you need to talk to someone, okay?"

At the other girl's agreement, they hung up their respective phones and continued about their evening.

🌎🌎🌎
[Present day]

On their first day back to school, Juliet (with her mom's help) moved into her new dorm on the third floor. Her roommate had e-mailed her to tell her that she'd be there later so it was no surprise to find the room empty. After she said goodbye to Daly, she went one floor down where her friends occupied the same rooms as before. As expected, Topanga and Angela were unpacking their own belongings and had their door open when she approached the entrance. After she'd knocked on the frame, she grinned and announced, "room service!"

The two girls turned around and smiled brightly at her, though the brunette's was understandably more uncomfortable. Topanga greeted her as enthusiastically as she could. "Peaches!"

"Panga!" Juliet ran over to her friend and hugged her tightly. "How are you holding up?"

"As well as can be expected," she answered quietly as she returned the gesture. "How's your dorm?"