Chapter Nineteen

"Heads up, YN!" YN felt the shield glide past her, hitting a man behind her in the chest bouncing back in her direction. Grabbing it midflight, YN spun on her foot, sending it through a mass of grouped men. Agents were pouring into the room, attacking the two remaining intruders with everything they had.

Their plan had gone sideways, when the supposed secure door behind them had exploded open, ten or more agents flocking into the room as YN was finally freed from her spot beneath the rubble.

"We're surrounded!" YN screamed, kicking an agent in the face as he advanced toward her. Her heart was lodged in her throat as she fired three shots into his chest.

"YN, get out of here! It's going to blow!" YN felt tears spill over her cheeks as she rushed another agent, jumping onto his shoulders and snapping his neck effortlessly. Dropping to the ground, YN looked through the crowd for Steve, only just seeing his body fighting off ten HYDRA agents alone.

"No, Steve. I'm not leaving you." YN replied, voice breaking. Someone grabbed her from behind, throwing her backwards and on top of their body. YN grabbed her dagger and plunged it into his thigh, making him release a screech. Rolling, YN used the massive body to shield herself from a spray of bullets. "How much time, Nat?" YN asked, fearing the answer.

"Thirty seconds." Natasha responded, voice low in sadness.

"Fuck." YN whispered, getting up and grabbing a discarded gun, sending a barrel full into three men running toward her. "We aren't getting out of here." YN said, calmly letting the others know this may be their last few moments. "Are you guys safe?" She asked, dropping the empty gun and running for another that was hooked on an unconscious man's belt

"We're at the rendezvous point, YN." Sam said, voice thick in emotion. "Stark sent a helicopter for Clint. You need to get out of there."

"I can't, Sammy. It's too late." She whispered. Cursing as she struggled to remove the gun. Finally getting it off, she turned in her crouch, firing the gun into an agent's abdomen just as his knife entered her shoulder, making her cry out.

"YN, come on, just get Steve and leave." Sam choked out, pinching the bridge of his nose.

"I love you so much Sam, please know that. You are the closest thing I have left to family. Don't be sad when you think about me, just remember how important you are." YN sobbed, sending a kick into another mans chest. "I hope you forgive me." She added, whimpering when an agent punched her in the face, making her shoot him down.

"Fifteen seconds." Natasha whispered, scrunching her eyes closed.

YN looked over to Steve, who was fighting off the last agent, grabbing his shield and sprinting to her position. Steve surveyed the room, spotting a small window, he clenched his teeth.

"Steve, you have to know-" She coughed, dust from the building settling in her lungs. "I need to tell you, before we-"

"YN! Are you there?" Sam yelled into her ear. YN could tell Steve wasn't listening so she grabbed him by his lapels, gaining his attention.

"Steve, I have to tell you before-" Steve shushed her, snatching her by the waist and throwing her over his shoulder. Racing toward the window, Steve held up his shield and smashed through it, the building behind them exploding quite literally at their feet. YN let out a cry as they descended toward the ground. She squeezed her eyes shut, feeling Steve wrap his arms around her as they got closer and closer to the cement.

Hitting it with a loud bang, YN felt the bones in her body shake, the wind knocking out of her roughly. Squeezing her eyes shut in pain, YN sat up with a whimper, moving off of Steve's body. Opening her eyes, she looked down to see her wrist dislocated, the appendage sitting at a strange angle. YN gagged, having to look away, instead she glanced over to see Steve unconscious below her, looking pale and still.

"No, no, no." She muttered, ignoring the flaming inferno behind her. "Call an ambulance! Somebody get me a defib, adrenaline. Anything!" YN screamed into her comms, not listening to the words of astonishment that she was even alive. YN sat on her knees, making her bite back a cry of pain at the agonizing pain in her body. She hovered over the still super solider, looking to her wrist. Muttering a curse, she quickly pushed the bone back into place with a loud scream. Quickly recovering, YN fisted her hands and pressed them to Steve's chest. "Don't you fucking die on me, you hear me? Not after pulling some self-sacrificing bullshit like that."

After five minutes of continuous first aid, YN felt herself tiring, her chest pumps growing weaker. Sam, Bucky and Natasha appeared in that minute, their gasps reigniting her passion, forcing her mouth back to Steve's lips and her fists back to his chest.

"How long has he been without a pulse?" Natasha asked, flicking a syringe that had adrenaline in it.

"Nearly six minutes." YN grunted, checking her watch.

"You've been doing CPR for six minutes? You need to retire." YN shook her head, refusing to let go.

"YN, come on. I'll take over." Bucky whispered, slipping to her side and replacing her hands with his.

YN sagged back into Sam, who wrapped his arms around her. "I'm so happy you're okay." He cried, tears soaking into the shoulder of her tactical jacket. "Are you hurt?" YN didn't respond, zoning out as Bucky counted to thirty under his breath. "Oh, fuck, YN. Your wrist." YN blinked, looking back over her wrist. The bone had sunken back into place, however, it was clearly still disfigured and it was slowly turning purple with bruising.

YN nodded, unable to respond as she looked up and watched Bucky continue chest compressions and Natasha give Steve his third shot of adrenaline. YN didn't move, face wet from tears and sweat and blood. She looked like the cover of a horror movie, but she didn't have time to care, her head dropping down to sob quietly.

After another five minutes, YN's head flicked up as Natasha made Bucky stop, tears falling down her face as she shook her head. Bucky sobbed, sitting back on his haunches as he looked over his dead best friend's body. YN bit back a cry, forcing her tongue between her teeth so hard she tasted blood.

"Another two rounds of adrenaline. He burns it off quicker." She yelled as she literally sat on Steve's stomach, leg either side of his body, fisted hands back to compressing his chest.

Natasha sniffed, looking down. "YN."

"Natasha, do it." The red head finally nodded, filling another syringe and plowing it into Steve's chest next to YN's hands. Leaning down to do mouth to mouth, YN listened for any breath. "Again." She ordered, sitting back and continuing her actions. After inserting their last round of adrenaline, YN finished off her final set of compressions, leaning to blow into Steve's mouth. Listening for breath, she felt the chest below her move. YN sat back up straight before moving her head down to Steve's chest. "I have a heartbeat!" YN screamed, looking down to Steve's face as it refilled with color.

"Oh my God." Bucky whispered, hand firmly gripped in Sam's, both the men too distraught to be embarrassed.

"Steve, can you hear me?" YN asked, leaning down to eye level as Steve's eyes moved behind his lids. "Open your eyes for me, please." As if by some miracle, YN's words got through to the man who was only moments ago, literally dead, Steve opened his eyes, his crystal blues boring into YN's as he blinked.

"Are we dead?" YN laughed, shaking her head as tears rushed from her eyes, mingling with the sweat on her cheeks.

"No, no. We're okay. You saved us." She replied, lip trembling as she stared back at the blonde. "You saved me."