Break My Heart and I'll Break Your Car. Chapter Twenty-Eight.

Chapter Twenty-Eight

            I didn’t wake up, until noon. I laid in bed for an hour, before I mustered enough courage to crawl out of bed and out into the living room where Natalie sat. Hovered over a carton of ice cream, and watching her soap operas. “Want some?” she asked, and I nodded my head yes.

            I snuggled into the couch next to her, eating the ice cream and trying to get over the pain. Soon enough, Natalie was crying next to me because of the death of one of her actors. “He was so hot, and…it just won’t be the same without him there, causing d-drama” she bawled, and hung onto me.

            I smiled, “its okay” I said rubbing her back as she cried on my shoulder. When she was finally done, she sat up and wiped away her tears. This is why I loved Natalie, she didn’t ask about yesterday at all. I knew she wouldn’t until I was ready, which I appreciated.

            “So, How are you?” she asked, when she was done crying and I sighed with a shrug.

            “Better than last night” I said and she looked at me, and that’s when I spilled all the details to her. Showing up at the mall and seeing his car, the argument with Mandy, and about my second life.

            “You race cars? That’s so neat, but isn’t it dangerous?” she asked, clearly worried about my safety which was understandable and I just shook my head.

            “If you know how to race, then it isn’t dangerous” I said and she nodded.

            She sighed, “I think you should do what you want to do, racing is your passion and it shouldn’t matter who you are, it’s the talent that counts” Natalie said softly, and I looked at her. I really looked at her, and smiled a genuine smile and kissed her cheek.

            “Thanks, Natalie. I don’t know what I would do without you” I said as I got up and hugged her. I went to my room, and shut the door firmly behind me. I sat on the bed, and that’s how my weeks went by.

            I would just lie in bed, my phone rang constantly and text messages came by a dozen. I didn’t want to talk to anyone though, so I turned my phone off. I went with Natalie everywhere, and helped her with everything. I asked my mom, if I could quit school and start up homeschooling again, and she said yes.

            So, while everyone was at school I would go home for an hour or two, and she would teach me the daily lessons and I would leave before they got home. It went like that for weeks; my mom didn’t pressure me to do pageants. She would drop comments every once in a while, but Jane was starting them, so her energy was focused on her.

            I was sitting on the couch one evening, watching the T.V with Natalie and Quinn when it happened. “I want to race again” I blurted out, it didn’t happen suddenly. I’ve been wanting to race for a while, the familiar itch always happened when I drove somewhere.

            “It’s about time” Natalie laughed, and Quinn nodded in agreement. I grinned, and ran upstairs. I slipped on some denim shorts and baby blue tank top. I let my hair down, and I grinned as I looked at the real me in the mirror.

            No heavy makeup, no fake black wig, no dark clothing or girly clothing. It was just plain old me. I smiled, and slipped on some tennis shoes, as I grabbed my keys and ran outside. I slid into my car, and drove the familiar route to the arena. I saw a whole bunch of cars, and stopped for a minute and took a deep breath.

            I entered the arena, and parked in my regular parking spot. I recognized two cars racing, Ollie and Mickey’s cars, the fumes in the air made me grin and I walked up into the crowd. People stopped and stared, and whispered and I ignored it all.  As Ollie passed the finish line, I began to cheer as loud as I could.