chapter 20 - new year's 1976-1977, part 2

When Regulus woke up to an empty bed, he knew something must have happened with Evangeline while he was asleep. He wasn't used to the feeling he was currently having seeing as he had never been on a plane before. He rolled out of bed and walked out of the tiny bedroom into the kitchen and living room space. He found Eva sitting on one of the window seats, staring out at the beautiful New York City. He sat down next to her and wrapped an arm around her shoulders. Eva quickly put her head on his shoulder and intertwined his right hand with hers.

'Hey,' Regulus whispered, kissing Evangeline's temple.

'Hi,' she whispered tiredly. 'How did you sleep?' she murmured.

'Alright, I guess,' Regulus shrugged.

'The noisiness wasn't the best, right?' Eva asked.

'No, it was alright,' he answered. 'But I just sleep better when you're in my arms,' he added, making Eva blush. 'I love you,' he then told the girl, kissing her head.

'I love you,' she replied, looking up at him with a smile.

The teenage couple kept looking out the window, taking in the breathtaking view.

'Where's your mum?' Regulus asked.

'Out,' Eva shortly replied. 'Don't know where or with who. She just said that there's food in the fridge and she won't be back home until tomorrow afternoon.'

Regulus looked at Eva, whose smile was now turned into a frown. 'Do you want to go do some exploring?' he asked, hoping this would cheer up his girlfriend.

Evangeline looked at him with a wide smile and nodded her head frantically. She jumped out of the window seat, running to the bedroom to change her clothes. Regulus laughed, shaking his head. Eva came back in a couple of minutes, dressed in some jeans and a sweater, with a beanie on her head. She walked up to Regulus, grabbed his hand and they walked to the front door, putting their shoes on and grabbing their coats. The two took the elevator and walked out of the building.

'Wanna go grab something to drink? I know a good place a few blocks down from here,' Eva told Regulus, and he nodded.

They walked with their hands interlocked around the crowded streets of New York. They walked around Queens, taking in the lively city at night. They walked into the cafe and walked up to the register.

'What can I get started for you two?' the barista asked Evangeline.

'I'll have a black coffee with a teaspoon of sugar and a teaspoon of vanilla extract,' Regulus told the barista.

'And I-...' Eva tried saying, but Regulus cut her off.

'She'll have the same as me,' Regulus said before she could finish.

'Here or to go?' the lady asked.

'Here,' Regulus replied. 'Oh, and two grilled cheese sandwiches and two chocolate chip muffins,' he added, and the barista wrote down their order.

'It will be 15.59, please,' the barista informed the two, and before Evangeline could pay, Regulus handed the lady 16 dollars.

'Take a seat at one of the tables, and I'll bring everything to you,' she said, and the couple took a seat at one of the tables facing the windows.

'How did you manage to get dollars?' Eva asked.

'Cissy,' Regulus smiled. 'She couldn't let me go visit my girlfriend's mother without any money and expect my beautiful girlfriend to pay for everything, now, could she?' Regulus asked.

'Reg,' Eva shook her head.

'Eva, I was raised to be a true gentleman. What kind of gentleman would I be if I didn't spoil my gorgeous girlfriend from time to time?' Regulus asked, raising an eyebrow.