chapter 57

"Pssst! Harry? Is that you? Y/N" Hermione calls as Harry and I are in the champions' tent.

"Yeah" Harry answers.

"How are you feeling? OK?" Hermione asks.

A pause.

"The key is to concentrate. After that you just have to..." Hermione starts but stops.

"Battle a dragon" Harry says.

Hermione pulls back the tent and hugs Harry tightly, but a camera flashes. All 3 of us turn to see Reeta, so I roll my eyes, groaning.

"Young love! Oh, how... stirring. If everything goes unfortunately today you 2 might make the front page" Rita says, pointing to Harry and Hermione.

The other 3 champions walk forwards, Cedric standing behind me.

"You have no business here. This tent is for champions and friends" Krum says, walking to Reeta.

"No matter. We've got what we wanted" Rita says, caressing Krum with her quill. The camera flashes again.

Dumbledore comes into the tent as Reeta moves away, but is still in full view.

"Good day champions. Gather round please. Now you've waited, you've wondered and at last the moment has arrived. The moment only 5 of you can fully appreciate" Dumbledore says, all of us getting into a circle, including Hermione, for some reason. Dumbledore notices Hermione, and looks between her and the rest of us "What are you doing here Miss Granger?"

"Oh um, sorry I'll just... go" Hermione says, looking at me and Harry wearily.

"Barty, the bag"

"Champions, in a circle around me. Miss Delacour, over here" Mr Crouch says, moving Fleur "Mr Krum" he moves Krum "And uh, Potter, Mr Potter, over here, that's right" I get moved so that I'm between Harry and Cedric "Now, Miss Delacour, if you will" Mr Crouch says.

Fleur reaches into a bag in Mr Crouch's hand, wincing before picking up a green thing and holding it in her hand. A mini dragon.

"The Welsh Green" Mr Crouch says, then goes to Krum "Mr Krum"

Krum picks up a dragon from the bag, a red dragon with gold accents.

"The Chinese Fireball. Ooh" Mr Crouch goes to Cedric, who picks up a yellow dragon "The Swedish Shortsnout"

He comes to me. I put my hand in the bag, and pick up a dragon. Another green one.

"Norwegian Ridgeback" Mr Crouch says.

"Norbert" I mumble, smiling.

"Which leaves"

"The Horntail" Harry mutters, afraid.

"What's that boy?"

"Nothing" Harry says quickly.

He puts his hand in the bag and winces, then pulls out a brown-grey, spiked dragon.

"The Hungarian Horntail. These represent 5 very real dragons. Each of which has been given a golden egg to protect. Your objective is simple: collect the egg. This you must do, for each egg contains a clue without which you cannot hope to proceed to the next task. Any questions?"

No one answers.

"Very well. Good luck, champions. Mr Diggory, at the sound of the canon-"

Filch lights the canon and it shoots, the entire tent shaking and the crowd outside going wild.

Cedric looks down as he goes towards the exit of the tent, but I pull him back, hugging him tightly.

"Be careful and good luck" I say, pulling back, but staying in his arms.