51. A Changed Woman

Over the next few days, Genevieve travelled to all of Gellert's safe houses, taking all of her belongings, before they could fall into the hands of the Ministry.
She also took all of the gold Gellert had hidden away, and placed it into her own bank at Gringotts.
Once that was done, she accompanied Dumbledore back to Hogwarts.
Since she would be returning early, she knew she had to come up with a lie to tell everyone.
"My father is dead. That's what I'm going to say" announced Genevieve, as her and Dumbledore reached the great hall.
"If that's what you want everyone to believe, then I will back up your lie" replied Dumbledore.
"Thanks" mumbled Genevieve, before pushing open the doors and entering the hall.

Genevieve immediately made her way over to the Slytherin table, where all of her friends were having breakfast.
Dumbledore left her side and headed to the staff table, so that Genevieve could tell her friends the lie in person.
"Gen, what are you doing back so early? The Easter holidays haven't finished yet have they?" Questioned Artemis.
Genevieve sighed and sat down next to her roommates.
She could feel Tom staring at her, but he would have to wait, for she had to talk to her other friends first.
"My Easter holidays didn't exactly go as planned" admitted Genevieve.
"I don't think anyone's did. I mean, have you seen the Prophet's front pages this week. All they talk about is Grindelwald's downfall" groaned Tessa.

"That's actually the reason I'm back so soon" informed Genevieve.
"Come again?" Frowned Alexis.
"It's a long story... I can trust you all, can't I?" Questioned Genevieve.
"Of course you can" replied Eileen.
Genevieve's whole life had been built on a lie, and it was at this moment that she realised she didn't want to lie to her friends anymore. So, she decided to tell them an abridged version of the truth, instead of the lie that the rest of the school would hear.

"Alright then, I'll tell you the truth. But you have to promise not to tell anyone else" said Genevieve sternly.
"We promise" replied Alexis.
The other girls all nodded, so Genevieve launched into her story.
"Well, my father was a big Grindelwald supporter. He attended all of his rallies, and helped him gain power and popularity. Which is why he was in Stockholm during the battle this week, fighting beside Grindelwald" revealed Genevieve.
"Wait. If he was fighting with Grindelwald, then where were you you?" Asked Tessa.
"I was there as well" answered Genevieve.

"No way" Gasped Artemis.
"Keep your voice down... I don't want everyone knowing I fought for Grindelwald. My father summoned me home this Easter, because he knew Grindelwald was going to make a stand, and he wanted me to help the cause" informed Genevieve.
"Thats so cool" admitted Tessa.
"It would have been, if Grindelwald had beaten Dumbledore. But he was defeated, and all his followers were killed or locked up" replied Genevieve.
"What happened to you father?" Questioned Tessa.
"He was arrested and thrown in Nurmengard prison"
"How did you get away?"
"I managed to apparate before I was captured by aurors. Unfortunately Dumbledore saw me there, and he headed to my home in Bulgaria to find me".

"Why didn't he hand you over to the Ministry?" Quizzed Artemis.
"Because I'm one of his students, so he felt responsible for me. I also managed to convince him that I was only there because of my father. So he decided not to tell anyone about what I got up to... This has to stay between us. If anyone else asks, we say that my father caught an illness and died. No one can know that me and him were in Stockholm" admitted Genevieve.
"Don't worry, your secret is safe with us" promised Alexis.
"Thanks" replied Genevieve.

Tom nodded his head towards the door, before getting up and leaving the hall.
"I need to go and talk to Tom" announced Genevieve.
"He's really missed you this week" revealed Eileen.
"Yeah, I've never seen him like this before, all edgy and nervous" added Alexis.
"I didn't like being parted from him either, it made me anxious. Which is why we need to reconnect in private" admitted Genevieve.
"You mean make out with no one watching you" teased Tessa.
Genevieve rolled her eyes and exited the hall to find Tom.
She looked for him in all the nearby empty classrooms, but since he wasn't there, she decided to head to the Room of Requirement, as that was their favourite place to hang out.

The moment she stepped inside the secret room, Tom threw his arms around her.
"I've been worried sick about you" admitted Tom.
"I'm O.K" reassured Genevieve.
"When I saw that Grindelwald had been defeated, and you didn't immediately return to Hogwarts, I felt sure you were dead" replied Tom, as he took a step back.
"Well, I'm not"
"Why didn't you write me a letter, so that I knew you were alive?"
"Because I knew it wouldn't get here before me. I've also not been in one place long enough to write a letter. I've been hopping across Europe, collecting all my things from Gellert's many safe houses".

"Were you there, when Dumbledore beat Grindelwald?" Questioned Tom.
Genevieve nodded, "Yes. I was hiding under a truck during the fight. And once it was over, I apparated all the way back to Bulgaria, which nearly killed me. Luckily Dumbledore came looking for me, and was able to save me".
"I can't believe Dumbledore won" admitted Tom.
"Neither can I" replied Genevieve, who's thoughts were on the Elder wand.
"What happens now then?"
"Nothing. Gellert will spend the rest of his life in Nurmengard, as will his followers. And I will never see him again. I'm all alone now".

Tears began to stream down Genevieve's face, and Tom placed his arms around her.
"There's no need to cry. He's alive isn't he? Which means you still have some family left. And you have me" reminded Tom.
"I'm not crying because I won't see him again. I'm upset, because when I visited him prison, he revealed to me who my father is. And it's him. Gellert Grindelwald is my father" informed Genevieve.
"What?"
"It's a long story".

Genevieve explained to Tom everything that Gellert had told her about her life.
"So, you are a descendant of the Ravenclaw family. That means we were always supposed to find the diadem. It was fate" announced Tom.
"Really? That's what's most important to you? I just found out that Gellert is not my uncle, but my father. And all you care about is the diadem of Ravenclaw" Frowned Genevieve.
"Sorry, I didn't mean to be insensitive. It was just a suprise to learn that you are also a descendant of a founder of Hogwarts" apologised Tom.

"I was the one who got suprised. Gellert lied to me my whole life. How am I supposed to move on, now that I know he's my father?" Questioned Genevieve.
"Whether or not he's your father doesn't matter. He is locked up now, so he will never be a part of your life again. We must look to the future, to our future. Gellert failed, but we will not. And one day we will make him proud by succeeding where he failed. We will take over the world, defeat Dumbledore, and then we will live forever. Together, we will become the most powerful people in the world. And no one, not even the famous Albus Dumbledore, will be able to stop us" announced Tom.

"I think Gellert just proved that taking over the world isn't as easy as it looks" admitted Genevieve.
"We will be better than him, and we will win. I promise you, that I won't let Dumbledore stop us from achieving our goals. And you can put your faith in me, because unlike Gellert, I have never lied to you" reminded Tom.
"No, you haven't" replied Genevieve.
"I will give you everything he promised you, and more. I swear to you, that one day, we will rule over this world together. It's our destiny. I'm a Slytherin and you're a Ravenclaw, which means we are superior to everyone else. And very soon, we will show them all just how powerful we can be".