Chapter Twenty-Nine

Zuko stands at the prow looking toward the nearing shoreline as the sun rises. He could barely sleep. Trying to work out what's going to be best for Kali once they are in the city. He knows it's going to be hard to keep her hidden around more people. On the road, hidden in caves and in their own little camps, it is just them, she doesn't have to worry about hiding herself. But in the city, they are going to have to figure something out. Jet approaches him from behind.

"You know, as soon as I saw your scar, I knew exactly who you were" Zuko glances warily at Jet who now stands next to him. Trying to work out if he really knows who he is. "You're an outcast, like me" Jet continues. Zuko internally relaxes. "And us outcasts have to stick together. We have to watch each other's backs, because no one else will" Zuko glances at Kali who stretches, Bing hanging off of her shoulders, his huge ears just hanging there. Kali looks over her shoulder and brightens seeing Zuko watching her. Smiling at him.

"I've realized lately, that being on your own isn't always the best path" Zuko admits to Jet who turns and follows his eyes to Kali's cloaked figure. Jet glances at Zuko, knowing that there has to be something going on there with Kali. Why else would she feel the need to hide herself away like that?

......

At the ticket gate, an Earth Kingdom official, a sour, heavyset woman with a large hairy mole above her eyebrow, looks over Iroh, Kali and Zuko's papers dubiously as they stand waiting for approval for entry into the city. Kali is turned into Zuko's chest a little to hide Bing from sight. Just in case.

"So, Mr and Mrs Lee, and Mr.... umm Mushy is it?" The woman asks looking between the three of them. "And baby" Her eyes linger on the sling against Kali's chest.

"It's pronounced Moo-shee" Iroh corrects. The customs woman then looks at him, angrily.

"You telling me how to do my job?" She demands of him. Iroh moves closer to the podium.

"Uh, no no no. But may I just say that you're like a flower in bloom, your beauty intoxicating" Iroh openly tries to charm the woman. Zuko pulls a face behind him as Kali smirks, a soft chuckle leaving her.

"You're pretty easy on the eyes yourself handsome" The customs woman makes a cat-claw gesture. "Raorrr. Welcome to Ba Sing Se" She stamps their papers and pushes them forward, Iroh takes them but Zuko is then at his side, snatching them away.

"I'm gonna forget I saw that," He tells his uncle.

"I'm never going to be able to forget that I saw that" Kali counters as she looks down at Bing. Zuko turns to her, holding out his free hand, Kali takes it without even looking, just knowing that it's there. He pulls her closer and they follow after Iroh as they head past customs and into a sort of train station waiting area.

.........

Kali tucks her knees under herself as she sits with Zuko and Iroh in the large stone train station. People are milling about in groups, families, couples. Refugees and residents alike. Jet approached them and casually sits down on Zuko's other side. Kali wrinkles her nose.

"So, you guys got plans once you're inside the city?" Jet asks them, Zuko glances down at Kali who pulls a face. It is very clear that Kali does not like or trust Jet. He noticed the moment she told him that he didn't have to steal food. She didn't want him around Jet.

"Get your hot tea here! Finest tea in Ba Sing Se!" All four of them look up to see a tea merchant pushing a concession cart in front of them. Iroh's hand instantly reaches up.

"Oh! Jasmine, please" He asks, Kali looks at the older man and smirks a little. The tea peddler pours out a cup of tea and hands it over to Iroh before moving on. Iroh delightedly takes a sip. His eyes widen in shock and he spits it out in disgust. "Blaugh! Ugh. Coldest tea in Ba Sing Se is more like it. What a disgrace!" Jet nudges Zuko.

"Hey, can I talk to you for a second?" Jet gestures for Zuko, who seems to be ignoring the tea episode, to follow him. Zuko rises reluctantly and sighs, walking away with him. Kali draws her arms around her legs, careful of Bing against her chest, her eyes firmly on Zuko and Jet. "You and I have a much better chance of making it in the city if we stick together," Jet tells Zuko who pulls a face at the implications of that statement. "You want to join the Freedom Fighters?" Jet asks Zuko who raises an eyebrow and then glances over at Kali and Iroh sitting together.

"Thanks, but no thanks" Zuko counters, he has no intention of leaving Kali behind, or his uncle. With everything they've been through, walking away would be like spitting in the face of it all. Jet moves to stand in front of Zuko, cutting him off.

"Come on, we made a great team looting that Captain's food. Think of all the good we could do for these refugees" Jet pushes but Zuko shakes his head and walks away, heading back over to Kali.

"I said no"

"Have it your way" Jet mumbles looking mildly surprised that Zuko turned him down. Jet then watches as Zuko grasps Kali's face in his hand and kisses her firmly. Reaffirming that he's not going to leave her. Her fingers curl into his robes and he catches sight of green-tinted skin. She's why he won't join them. He then turns his attention to the seated Iroh, who is carefully enjoying the tea now steaming vigorously in his cup. Jet suddenly bristles and his eyes open wide in shock, realizing what he is seeing. Zuko pulls back from Kali and then looks back toward Jet, who now wears a look of hostile suspicion on his face. Jet turns and walks off. Watching Jet leave, Zuko abruptly turns and dashes the cup of tea from his uncle's hand.

"Hey!" Iroh complains.

"What are you doing fire-bending your tea?!" Zuko scolds him. "For a wise old man, that was a pretty stupid move"

"I know you're not supposed to cry over spilled tea, but..." Iroh sniffles and the cup is shown overturned in a puddle. "That's so sad"