Chapter 5

Chapter 5

   Apparently, my severe headache was because I was getting the flu. After Grayson dropped me off at home, I started feeling really sick just minutes afterwards. That stayed that way even the next morning.

   "Poppy, you need to get up!" Mom said as she stood by the door.

   I groaned dramatically, feeling really horrible. "Just leave me to die!"

   Mom sighed. "Poppy, you're not dying. You need to get to school."

   "But Mom!" I whined. "I don't feel good!"

   "You're perfectly able to go to school," Mom said. "If you don't get up now, you're going to be in serious trouble."

   I wished Dad never left for work yet because he definitely wouldn't have let me go to school when I was feeling like crap. I hadn't missed a single day of school before, besides yesterday when I skipped, because Mom believed that unless I was in the hospital, I should be in school if I ever wanted an education. I tried telling her that one day every now and then wouldn't affect my mark.

   Seeing as I had no choice, I slowly got out of bed. Unfortunately for me, I felt extremely nauseous. I could barely move around without feeling like throwing up.

   After I got changed, I went down the stairs to the kitchen, where Mom was waiting for me. "See?" she asked. "You're not dying."

   "Mom, I really don't feel good," I muttered. "Can I please stay home?"

   "One day can affect your studies," Mom told me. "You're going to school whether you want it or not."

   "Please Mom?" I asked, trying one more time to stay home. If I went to school today, I would probably do worse if I didn't go, if that made any sense. I wouldn't be able to concentrate in school at all.

   Mom, however, didn't take no for an answer. "Grab your bag and get in the car."

   I sighed and grabbed my backpack sitting by the front door before going outside and straight to Mom's car. I climbed into the passenger seat and rested my head against the seat as I waited for Mom to come in. When she did, she didn't even notice how sick I must have looked as she pulled out of the driveway and drove to the school.

   Mom told me she wasn't able to pick me up after school because of yet another meeting she had. She had been having a lot of meetings lately. Mom was a home intetrior designer and she was helping a newly wed couple design their new home.

   As soon as I walked into the school, I felt extremely sick. The loud voices of the teenagers in high school always gave me headaches and seeing as I already had one, it didn't make me feel better.

   "Flower?" Grayson said from behind me. I turned around. "Are you okay? You look really sick."

   "I am," I said. "My mom forced me to come, but I feel very nauseous."

   Without another word, Grayson grabbed my wrist and pulled me out of the school. "Where are we going?" I asked.

   "My house," Grayson said. "You obviously need to rest and I don't want to be at school."

   "So we're skipping again?" I asked as we got into his car.

    "It's not really skipping if school never started yet," Grayson objected. "You really need to rest, anyway."

   Grayson pulled out of the school parking lot and began driving to his house. Driving with him reminded me of our conversation we had yesterday; about his brother. I remembered the way I acted and honestly, I felt bad about it. "Grayson," I said. "I want to apologize for the way I acted yesterday. I shouldn't have yelled."