Chapter Thirty

Iroh manages to find them an apartment in the lower ring of the city. It's just a small place, barely enough space for one let alone three of them. But with so many refugees coming into the city, they are lucky they got anything, to be honest. Zuko and Iroh aren't around, out buying supplies with what they have left, just till they come up with something else but Kali rests on the open window, watching people come and go on the street below. She can't leave without a cloak on, and it's too warm for it. Too lonely with it on, even at Zuko's side. With the cloak used to cover her, she doesn't have full use of her sight, restricted to what's in front of her or beneath her feet. It's not exactly ideal or wanted. She doesn't want to be locked away all day. She sighs and lowers her head to rest her chin on her arm.

.........

Zuko walks along the street, heading back towards the apartment. Kali's bag strap across his chest, it's the only bag they have at the minute. None of their travel packs made it out of their encounters on the road. So he's borrowing it to carry shopping. Food isn't something they are desperate for, with Kali's bending they aren't going to starve. So he spent the last of his coin on something for her. She hasn't changed her clothing since they met and he thought she might like or appreciate a second outfit. Something new to wear. He's tried to keep it similar to what she already has and in earthy tones. If she doesn't like it then they will figure something else out. He just wants to erase any reminders of her past with Raya. He might even be able to convince her to remove her collar. Iroh catches up to him from behind, holding a large vase with several orange flowers placed in it, Zuko glances at the flowers and then at his uncle.

"I just want our new place to look nice for Kali" Iroh offers, giving Zuko a small nudge with his elbow. "It wouldn't be so bad for you two...to make a life here"

"This city is a prison. I don't want to make a life here" Zuko argues. This isn't what he wants for her. Not poverty. Not hiding away. She shouldn't have to hide away because she looks different. She should be able to come and go as she pleases. Walk around.

"Life happens wherever you are, whether you make it or not" Iroh counters and then takes a deep breath. "Now come on, let's get these flowers back...I found us some new jobs, and we start this afternoon...." Zuko glances at his uncle who nods reassuringly at him. Behind them, watching them walk away, is Jet. A glare set onto his face.

"Look at them, fire-benders living right under everyone's nose" Smellerbee and Longshot walk up to Jet from an alley.

"Jet, you saw a man with a hot cup of tea" Smellerbee comments. "It doesn't prove he's a fire-bender. And what if he is, are we supposed to attack them I thought we were starting over here, changing our ways"

"And what about the girl?" Jet counters. "Where is she now? Why was she wearing that cloak? Hiding her face...." Smellerbee frowns a little.

"You think they kidnapped her?" She asks him. Jet shrugs back. It is a possibility he is thinking about. Two fire-benders travelling with a young woman who is covered and hidden. Like they are trying to hide her away. What else is he supposed to think?

"When I get the evidence I need, I'll report them to the police and let them handle it. Ok?" Jet asks them. Smellerbee and Longshot share a look.

..........

Zuko's heart almost gives out when he sees that Kali's sat by the window. Alarms ringing in his head. He pulls off the bag and drops it before he moves towards her. Kali smiles at him in greeting as she pushes herself to her feet.

"You're back" She greets warmly but Zuko grabs her arm and pulls her away from the window.

"You should stay away from the windows" He scolds her, she watches his face before she hangs her head. Scolded.

"Right...Sorry" She whispers and pulls her arm away from him, curling into herself. He realises what he's done. The way he's spoken to her. The way they all likely spoke to her. He never wanted her to see him in that light. Never wanted to be just like them.

"Kali" He starts but she just shakes her head. He didn't mean for it to come out like that. He didn't mean to upset her. He's trying to keep her safe, to protect her. "It's just...what if someone saw you?" He asks her, she sighs and brushes her hair behind her ear before she lowers her hand, staring at it. at how green it is. She's never really thought it was a problem before. She was kept hidden but she never had too much of an issue with being trapped inside. She longed for freedom but never hated that it was because she was green. It was always because she was a slave. But she's not anymore. And she's still trapped inside, this time it is because she is green.

.....

It's a sort of awkward afternoon, with Kali's mood shifting following Zuko's little snap at her regarding the window. He knows what he did. He knows that with her history the tone he took with her was wrong. Iroh tries to keep the mood light, he makes tea and tries to get Kali to talk, but she shut herself off. Now they have to leave for this job that Iroh arranged. And Zuko hates that he's leaving her alone in this mood. He can't bear to think of her being upset and all on her own all afternoon.

"We'll be back later," Zuko tells Kali who sits on the bed, her leg under her as she stares down at her hands. She's been quiet since they got back, not even looking at what Zuko brought back for her. He crouches in front of her and she keeps her eyes away from him. "Kali" He whispers, trying to get her to look at him. He touches her knees, pressing his fingers in, trying to comfort her. He knows the way he went about it was wrong, but he just wants to keep her safe. He knows that's not a bad thing. Iroh stands at the door.

"We don't want to be late on our first day" Iroh teases a little. Zuko glances at him and then back to Kali. He kisses her head and sighs when he pulls away. Still nothing from her. He moves away, joining his uncle at the door. "Let her calm down," Iroh tells Zuko. "She knows you didn't mean it..." Zuko shrugs a little and scratches at his arm as they leave together.