Chapter thirty-five

Layla

I head to the console, slowly bending down to pull back the sheeting that covered my bag. When I go to undo the knots, I realise they are already undone. Maylock said my bag would be safe here. Yet another thing he lied about. 

I grab my bag and use my frustration to propel me upward onto my feet. When my bag hits my back after putting my arms through the straps, a sharp pain comes from my side which makes me grit my teeth. Hopefully that disgusting medilac should start working by the time I am out of here. 

I walk down the steps to the wide wooden door and push it but it doesn't open. I push it again and there's still no movement. I think it's locked. It's locked? Baymin doesn't leave sight of me as I step back up to the main floor. 

The shooty area is the only other exit I can think of. As soon as I pass the arch, footsteps follow behind me and Baymin stands near the console, having caught up with me. I continue my journey and walk down each step. The cold breeze of freedom hits my skin. 

     "What are you doing?" Baymin asks as I edge towards the exit. "Layla, no you are not leaving" 

     "Try me" I turn and am about to walk out when a metal gate slams down blocking my exit. "Are you kidding me!" I push the gate in my frustration but wince as a sharp sensation pierces from my side. 

     "This is for your own safety" Baymin says calmly but his face dips and his eyes widen in concern. "Are you alright? You look pale" 

     "Yes, I'm fine" I snap as yet another searing pain explodes from my stomach but I manage to conceal my reaction by tightly closing my fists to absorb the discomfort. 

I really need to sit down. 

I gradually walk up the stairs since I have no other choice but this slow pace is also because I've grown out of breath. My chest is tight and each breath is a struggle. When I reach the top, my lack of options continue as the metallic gates are not just at the shooty exit, but they are at every other door including the white beam chutes. I am trapped here. The only other direction I'm able to freely go is down the stairs Baymin indicated where the bedrooms were. Guess I'm going there. 

I pass Baymin on my way to the stairs, making sure I keep a straight face and upright body language to deter him from thinking somethings wrong.

++++++++++++++++

At the bottom of the stairs is a short corridor with two doors on the right and three on the left. I try to stop thinking about Maylock lying but anger continues to build within me from taking his word on everything he said and believing him. I am such an idiot.

I breathe out heavily to soothe the roar of anger but my side continues to spring stabs of pain which matches the rage before, if not outweighing it entirely and I have to apply pressure to it to try and numb it. I should have asked for some bandages.

I pick a door, feeling some sort of instinct within me to choose the one at the end but when I'm stood in front of it, I feel betrayed by my odd urge of feeling because it's rotted at the bottom and splintered in places. 

I twist the door knob but the door doesn't open. Is this door locked as well? It wouldn't surprise me with the lengths Baymin went just to keep me here. I don't give up though so I twist it one more time and give it a budge with my right shoulder and it opens. 

I stumble in as pain shoots from my shoulder, combined with the continuous throb of my side makes me stop to catch my breath and reelin the sensations.