Chapter 21, 'I'll kill them.'

7th May 1919, Small Heath Birmingham

Dreaming. Dreaming was something that most people could do effortlessly, they didn't have to think about it, they just closed their eyes and it happened. It was nature, everybody dreams and most without problems. The Shelby men and most of the men that went away to war couldn't dream, at least not without waking up in a fit of cold sweats, screaming and crying. The men had shell shock and the women were struggling to cope. Tommy had started to take opium to help, Libby had found his pipe after she had gone in his room to find clean socks for James who had none and refused to look in their father's room himself. She asked Tommy about it but like he did most of the time he shut her out and ignored the question, leaving Libby to tell Polly who was less than pleased about her niece finding the pipe and was quick to smack Tommy on the back of the head.

Tonight or early morning really was like most that happened in the Shelby household; everyone was woken up by one of the men screaming, this time it just so happened to be Tommy.

"Dad, are you okay?" Libby asked gently through the door, twisting the door handle. Slowly opening the door and peeking inside Libby saw Tommy shaking and crying, sweat dripping off his forehead.

"Dad, wake up." Libby shuck her dad gently hoping to help him snap out of his nightmare. "Dad it's alright, your home, in England. It's Libby."

"They're coming," Tommy murmured in his sleep, "Don't. Leave my kids."

"Dad, I'm right here, wake up," Libby pleaded, her voice cracking. Libby wasn't weak and didn't really cry but seeing the man she had started to look up to, the man that was fearless and strong so weak and vulnerable, scared her. That was her dad and she felt hopeless that she couldn't do anything to help him when he clearly needed it.

Tommy's eyes shot open and his breathing became deep, sitting upright he turned to face his daughter. "Libby," he gasped, pulling her into his arms. Tommy nestled his head into the top of her head, breathing in the scent of his daughter's hair. Gripping her tight as if she was going to slip away from him just like her mother had done, fifteen years earlier.

"Dad, are you alright. I heard you screaming and I panicked, I came to make sure you were alright." Libby rushed her words out, worried her dad was going to be angry that she came into his room when he was having a nightmare after they had been told not to go anywhere next to his or his brother's rooms when they were having a nightmare.

"It was just a nightmare, I'm sorry I'm scared ya, I'm alright now," Tommy reassured her, holding both sides of her face in his hand looking into her eyes. Libby just nodded and looked down. Placing a gentle kiss on her forehead, Tommy asked, "Why don't you sit in here with me and we can have a talk like you and Ada do?" He had noticed that Libby probably wouldn't be able to get back to sleep and he knew he wouldn't either.

"Cos you're not a girl, I can't gossip about boys with you, can a?" Libby Asked, pulling Tommy's blanket back so she could get in next to him.

"There better bloody not be any boys, I'll kill them," Tommy replied, smiling slightly, putting his arm around his daughter as her head rested against his chest. "What are you thinking of school then, my girl?" Tommy asked, using his other hand to play with her hair, hoping to put her back to sleep.

"It's alright, dad. I've made friends and the teachers aren't that bad but I'd still rather be in the betting shop with you, John and Arthur." Libby said, yawning quietly.

"There's plenty of time for that but why don't you try to go back to sleep." Libby just nodded and snuggled closer into Tommy's chest.

"John, go and wake Libby up, she's going to be late for school," Polly said, placing a plate of bread and jam in front of James and Finn.

"Alright," John huffed, already halfway up the stairs. "Libby, Wake up no..." John said walking into Libby's room noticing she wasn't there.

"Pol she is not there," John said, coming back downstairs, picking up a slice of bread with jam on it.

"What do you mean she is not Bloody there," Polly asked, confused about where her niece was.

"I mean she is not in bed, Pol," John replied, even more, confused than Polly because as far as he was concerned she had probably left for school.

"James, did she go out last night?" Polly asked her nephew, wanting to know where her niece was.

"Not after we came back from the Garrison with John and Arthur and she didn't mention sneaking out later on." James said without thinking, "I mean we never sneak out, tho Pol." James corrected himself, noticing Polly's death stare.

"We Believe ya, James. We do." John laughed, not believing him one because after all, they were Shelbys and James just so happened to remind him a lot of Arthur and Arthur had a habit of sneaking out when he was young and still did when he didn't want Polly to know he was going to the whore house.

"Do you know where Tommy is, we are going to have to tell him she went missing again." Polly sighed.

"No, I don't think he's awake yet," John replied, already heading toward the stairs knowing Polly was going to ask him to go and check Tommys bed to see if he was still asleep.

"I found them, Pol," John shouted down the stairs. He opened Tommy's bedroom door and looked at Libby and Tommy cuddling together, shaking his head and laughing lightly. Her head on his chest and Tommy's hand playing with her hair, Just like it had been when they fell asleep.

"John, what are you staging at?" Ada asked, coming out of the bathroom.

"Ada, look at these two."

"Awwww, that's so cute," Ada remarked rather loudly, waking Tommy up.

"What do you two bloody idiots want," Tommy snapped, quietly not wanting to wake his daughter up.

"Polly was looking for Libby, she is gonna be late for school," John answered, looking like a deer caught in front of a hunting rifle.

"Tell Polly that Libby is having a day off, call it a long weekend, it is Friday."Tommy said not wanting to disturb his daughter when she looked so peaceful, "Tell James and Finn they can have the day off as well."

"Right, you are Tommy." John sighed, knowing he was going to get it in the neck of Polly because of Tommy and boy was he right: Polly was furious.

A/N:

we now have a Libby and Tommy bonding moment. I hope you like it and comment on what other interactions you would like to see.

                    -- Jane