Chapter Thirty-One

Jet is leaning against the wall of a tea shop in the lower ring, lingering near a window. His eyes looking around, making sure no one is watching him before he turns around, peering in through the window, spotting Zuko and Iroh speaking with the tea shop owner. Zuko appears distracted, how is he supposed to work when Kali is so upset with what he did. He would understand if this changed things between them. If she never wanted him to touch her again. If she wanted to leave them.

"Well, you certainly look like official tea servers," The tea shop owner tells them. "How do you feel?"

"Ridiculous" Zuko comments. He and Iroh are both wearing aprons. Iroh is desperately attempting to tie the string behind his back, but his effort is in vain.

"Uh, Does this possibly come in a larger size?"

"I have extra string in the back. Have some tea while you wait" The owner pours two cups of tea and hands them to his new employees before heading to the back of the shop. Iroh takes a sip from his cup, but quickly pulls it away, his face contorted in disgust.

"Eeow! This tea is nothing more than hot leaf juice!" He complains, Zuko turns to him and frowns.

"Uncle, that's what all tea is" He points out. Iroh turns, alarmed, surprised and disgusted at what he's just been told.

"How can a member of my own family say something so horrible?" Iroh scolds him. "We'll have to make some major changes around here" Iroh grabs the teapot and heads over to the window Jet is spying through. Jet gasps and pulls away just in time and Iroh dumps the tea out the window. Jet slowly stalks around the corner of the shop and leaves.

......

Kali touches the petals of the flowers that Iroh brought home. They're beautiful. She moves to set the vase on the bedside table next to her bed, well her and Zuko's bed. She's not mad at him, not really. Just shocked that it reminded her of them. Of everyone that came before. Shocked at how fast she sunk. How much it affected her. It wasn't Zuko saying that to her in that tone. It was everything that happened inside of her. He was looking out for her. But it scared her too. A lot of things at that moment scared her. If this is her home now, then she is to be stuck inside forever? Stuck in this tiny apartment? Trapped inside these walls. She doesn't want to do that again. She can't go back to that. She is free....so why doesn't she feel it? Not stuck in here. She sighs and brushes her hair over her shoulder, her eyes then landing on the clothing that Zuko got for her. She can try them, wear them, reassure him that she's not upset at him. She crosses in front of the window, moving to the bag. Unaware that Jet is watching from the roof across the window, capable of seeing all the way in. Kali isn't hiding who she is here. She has no cloak to cover up what she looks like. What she is. And he can see now, the reason she was hiding. He doesn't know what to think now. More convinced that she is a kidnapping victim. Why else would two fire-benders be squirrelling away someone so unique? To steal her away. He watches as she moves into the side room before he moves. He needs proof first. And then he can help her.

.......

Iroh and Zuko do return later, the sun has set by the time they close the door behind them. Kali is less enthusiastic about this return home. Zuko sits on the edge of the bed, and looks at Kali laying there, a blanket wrapped around her. She's not asleep, but not really interested in contributing to anything. Just wanting to curl up on her own. So she does that. Keeping her back to the room and ignoring both of them. Zuko rests forward onto his knees, rubbing at his face with his hands. He's tired. Exhausted even. With the tea shop and what happened with Kali. Iroh moves to the counter in the little cooking area and sets up a teapot.

"Would you like a pot of tea?" Iroh asks, Zuko raises an eyebrow as he lifts his head.

"We've been working in a tea shop all day" He argues. "I'm sick of tea"

"Sick of tea?" Iroh counters. "That's like being sick of breathing!" He then rummages through the cupboard beneath the counter. He then leans up and frowns. "Little Flower, have you seen our spark rocks to heat up the water?" He asks her, she turns to look at him and then to the cupboard. She shrugs a little and then climbs from the bed to help him look. Without her blanket, Zuko can see that she's changed. She's wearing her new clothes. Zuko softens a little watching her. The fitted ruffled brown one-shoulder top, the burnt orange sarong style skirt, with sandals. She looks comfortable. More so than with the last outfit. This is softer. Practical. He picked something good. She looks great. But that collar is still around her neck. She rummages around, looking through where the rocks are supposed to be, but they are no rocks here. She frowns and stands.

"I thought I put them in there" She points out.

"You did" Iroh agrees. "I watched you.... never mind" He comments and touches her arm. "I'll go find some more" He then turns and leaves before either of them can argue. The apartment falls silent as Kali shifts on her feet. Zuko takes a deep breath.

"Kali" Zuko starts, standing from the bed. She keeps her head down, fidgeting with her fingers. He doesn't like this. He doesn't like her being upset with him. He doesn't like her being scared. Of him. Of anything. Iroh then returns with a pair of spark rocks, not giving Zuko a moment to talk with her. He sighs and sits back on the edge of the bed. It will have to wait until Iroh has gone to sleep.

"I borrowed our neighbours, such kind people," Iroh tells them, his eyes flickering between the two of them. Iroh then moves to where Kali is stood at the counter. She holds out her hand and he gives her the spark rocks, setting them into her palm. She clearly needs to do something to occupy herself. She strikes the spark rocks together near the small pile of twigs beneath the teapot. They quickly ignite and a small flame is created.