Chapter 7

Feeling soft caresses, Zhongli peeled an eyelid back to his wife hovering over him. She sat on his stomach, one elbow leaning against the side of his head, the other propped to support her weight allowing her to caress him.

"Hi," she softly greeted with a smile.

"Good morning, darling."

Y/n leaned down, pressing her lips against his. His hands wandered, gently tracing her sides then her stomach, and finally; one hand resting on her waist and the other cupping the small of her back, pressing her closer to him.

It's summer break now. That means Y/n is free from her teaching duties until the following fall season. That also means Zhongli has her all to himself before and after work. That is, if Y/n isn't busy around the harbor. Knowing his wife, she is. Just the other day, he found her kneeling by an elderly woman's side, picking up the fallen fruit from the woman's basket. After Y/n was done, she was whisked away by a group of children to play with them.

It was an endless cycle of people calling her over, asking for help, asking for advice, and whatnot. It's not like Zhongli minded...at first. Yes, he doesn't mind but that is his wife the people are kidnapping. Well, perhaps kidnapping is a strong word, but he is unable to have any quality time with his wife.

"We should get up," Y/n hummed, tilting her head back to kiss his jawline. "It's past eleven now."

Gently pressing soft kisses against the column of her neck, Y/n giggled and pulled away from him and the bed.

"It's not fair. How are you this beautiful?"

Y/n lightly laughed and turned to face him, the ends of her nightdress twirling with her.

"Please. Say that to yourself!"

Zhongli smiled and shook his head. He got up and joined his wife to start the day.

Sharing a soft kiss, Zhongli left for the funeral parlor.

__________

Raising the cup of tea to his lips, Zhongli sat by a table, watching his wife run around and play with the children. It was very much dark outside but neither the children nor his wife was concerned. The children ran around with sparklers in hand while some children sat around Y/n, watching the embers light up in her palms. Shapeshifting every so often. Once as a child, once as a teen, once as an adult, once as an elderly person, and back to a small ember. Sometimes even animals.

Good. She's no longer afraid of her vision. Or at least getting there.

"Honestly, I still am scared," Y/n admitted to him once. "But I'm starting to get a little comfortable now. I'm no way near confident yet but I'm getting there."

There's the confidence. It may not be much but as she said, she's getting there. Slowly, but surely, getting there.

Finally, the children dispersed. Each finding their respective parent(s) and returning home. Y/n found Zhongli and the two shared a kiss before returning home together.

"Such an avid tea drinker," Y/n teased him. "This is what, your tenth cup?"

"Are you judging me, darling?"

Y/n giggled and walked over to him, arms going around his shoulders.

"I just find it amusing," she admitted. "But it's a part of you so I have to love it."

She leaned over to softly kiss his cheek and pressed her chest against his back.

"Come join me in bed after you're done, okay?"

She pulled away and left the kitchen. Zhongli finished up his tea and cleaned up the kitchen before following his wife inside the bedroom. Already fast asleep, hugging a spare pillow in her arms with a soft smile, Zhongli gently pried the pillow away from her and took its place instead.

The next morning, Zhongli was unable to stay with his wife as much as he had wanted to. He was ushered off to the funeral parlor for an unbelievable load of paperwork, clients, contracts, and meetings.

It was late when he returned home. Rather...his former home.