one-shot #32

Prompt: I Love You So by The Walters.

A huge smile plastered itself on Y/N's face as she walked down the hallway. She held an annotated book and a small note in her hand.

She kept checking her watch, making sure she would get to her destination on time. And sure enough, she did.

Y/N approached the painting of the Fat Lady that guarded the Gryffindor common room. She whispered the password and was quickly let in.

Students in the common room waved to her as she passed by them, giving small waves and smiles back, but she was too excited for what was to come so she rushed off before anyone could start a conversation.

She quickly made her way up the steps, the excitement barely being contained. Y/N approached a wooden door, and stood there for a second. She took a deep breath, but the smile never left her face.

The antsy girl brought her hand up to the door and knocked in a 1-2-3 pattern, then let her hand fall back to her side.

When the door was opened, she was not met with the energy she thought would be on the other side.

Instead stood a disheveled Hermione Granger, who had bloodshot eyes and hair as frizzy as ever.

"Come in." Hermione choked out.

A concerned look quickly took over the once happy one on Y/N's face, and she rushed in. She quickly grabbed Hermione's hand and gave it a squeeze.

"What's wrong my love?"

Hermione sighed and sat on her bed, then patted the spot next to her to signal that Y/N should take a seat.  She nodded and sat next to her girlfriend, who was very clearly on the verge of tears.

"What we have is amazing, and beautiful, and so, so pure Y/N... But-"

"But what?" Y/N's concern cut her off. She knew what direction this was heading in, she just didn't want to hear it.

Hermione shook her head and tears started to fall. "But we're holding each other back, and we need to let go. You need to let go."

Y/N let the book and the letter slide off her lap and fall to the floor as she grabbed Hermione's other hand. She also shook her head, but instead of tears a hopeful smile was what stayed on her face. "Hermione, we can work this out, together. We're meant for each other, you know that."

"Come on, I love-"

"Let me go, Y/N. It'll be what's best for both of us." The Gryffindor pulled her hands back into her own lab and bit her lip, trying to stifle her crying.

Y/N abruptly stood up and walked over to the door. "You're sure this is what you want? What you think is 'best for us'?"

Hermione couldn't do anything but nod, and that was enough of an answer for Y/N. She left Hermione's room and almost slammed the door shut, but she didn't want to make Hermione more upset than she knew she was.

As soon as Y/N closed the door, though, she couldn't help but cry. She dropped down to the floor and leaned against the wall next to the door. She tried to be quiet, and tried to get up, but she couldn't.

Hermione listened to Y/N's sobs through the door, her heart shattering even more than she thought it would when she first thought of the outcome. She walked away from the door and back over to her bed, hoping she wouldn't be able to hear the noise.

Once she reached her bed, she noticed the book and note on the floor. Hermione picked up the book and stared at the cover.

Hogwarts: A History.

Her favorite book, "the only one she would ever read," claimed Y/N. She wasn't far off from the truth with that statement either.

Hermione flipped through the book, stopping on random pages and reading whatever Y/N had written down. Some things were funny, some romantic, some just there to fill as much space as possible.

She noticed one specific detail though. A page ripped out, which she thought was very odd.

Then she moved onto the note. She opened the envelope and two pieces of paper fell out. One had writing on it, and the other was a picture of some sort.

The Gryffindor picked up the two papers and recognized the one as a picture of the astronomy tower. This was the image that was on the ripped page from the book.

She wiped a couple tears and focused on the note, starting at the top.

My beloved Hermione,

               I know how much you love books, and how much you love seeing others people's thoughts on said books, so I annotated your absolute favorite book for you! I hope you don't mind, but I ripped out the astronomy tower. I thought maybe you could hang it somewhere in your room since it was where we had our first date. Anyways, I hope you enjoy.

                                                                                                                        Sincerely,
                                                                                                                                   Yours

                      ps. i sprayed the perfume that I have that you like on the
                             paper so you can smell it whenever you miss me <3

Tears then fell from Hermione's face uncontrollably. They landed on the note, the image, the book, everywhere below her.

She rapidly stood up and rushed to the door. She opened it, hoping to see Y/N still waiting for her on the other side, but she was met with nothing but an empty hallway.