Chapter 6

Penelope hoped her pathetic disguise was enough

Penelope hoped her pathetic disguise was enough. Her teal hair was, once again, tucked up into the hood of her sweatshirt and she had a pair of sunglasses on, even though the sky was overcast.

At least there were waffles at the end of this, she told herself.

Waffles had been a long-standing tradition on camping trips, and a particular favourite of Penelope's. The promise of waffles had even been enough for her dad to lure her out of the cabin. Of course, now that they were here, back in front of the diner and around people, Penelope was beginning to doubt if any waffle was worth this price.

"Let's go get them waffles," her dad said cheerily, undoing his seatbelt.

Penelope slid her sunglasses down her nose and scanned the street like some kind of spy. Like the day before, there weren't many people out and about; there were a few semi-trucks parked in the empty gravel lot next door and a mud-splattered JEEP a few spaced down from them.

"There's nothing but old timers and truckers in there," he assured her, opening his door and climbing out. "Seriously, I don't think I saw a single person under forty last time. You don't have to worry about being seen."

Penelope scowled and pushed her sunglasses back into place. She knew full-well that she looked stupid, but that wasn't enough to convince her to take them off.

He was probably right. It was unlikely that anyone in that crowd would recognize her, but the mere chance of what-if-they-did haunted her too much. Penelope fidgeted as the voice at the back of her mind kept up its chant.

What if? What if? What if?

"It'll be fine, I promise," he said. Without another word, he closed the door and headed for the restaurant.

After a moment, Penelope took a deep breath, unbuckled her seat belt, and slid out of the truck cab, too. As she stood on the pavement, breathing seemed suddenly much harder. Her back was surprisingly sweaty despite the chill of early morning.

Nope. Nope, I can't do this, Penelope thought, turning back and reaching for the door handle. Waffles be damned.

Click.