21; birthday

YOU LOOK LIKE YOU'VE GOT A LOT
ON YOUR MIND, SWEETHEART

❝ YOU LOOK LIKE YOU'VE GOT A LOTON YOUR MIND, SWEETHEART ❞

WARNING // 18+

The road back to the Sanctuary was long and bare aside from the few walkers that had stumbled from the forests clawing at anything that drew their fleeting attention spans. They were all that stood out amidst the grim trees and stretch of gravel. The trip would've been mundane given there was no music and Negan wasn't talking much, but his presence was comforting, so she didn't mind all that much.

He held his silence for the first little bit, clicking his tongue every now and tapping his foot arrhythmically. One hand clung to the wheel and the other picked at his uncombed beard, while he observed the road so intently ahead it was as if he were watching out for other cars.

Breaking his gaze, he looked over Winona and glanced her up and down, a smirk tugging at the corner of his lip. He directed his eye back to the road.

"What was that?"

"What?"

"You smiled at me."

"And?" He asked, "you look good. Excuse me for getting happy when I see a hot chick."

"Negan-" she stopped herself from saying anything she'd regret. Joking around with Negan was still like walking on eggshells despite getting to know him more over the time she'd spent at The Sanctuary. Somehow she still let her unfiltered thoughts slip through her lips. "Stop being horny. You have five wives to get back to."

"Make it six."

"Then I would be a teacher, a saviour, and your wife. It would be inhumane to overwork me so much."

"If you become my wife you will never work another day."

She raised a brow. Her tone was sardonic, dripping with playfulness, but Negan's lips were spread out into a thin line and his eyes showed a seriousness that she wasn't expecting at that moment. He wanted her to be his wife. Put on the black dress and hang out with the group of women he fucks periodically. The thought made her sick to her stomach. It made her want to slap herself for becoming fond of Negan.

She leaned back. She wouldn't dream of being Negan's wife, and Negan knowing her character well enough should have expected her answer. "I'm not going to be your wife. I'm not interested in the type of marriage you have going on. And I have a whole other life, remember?"

She caught the words after they slipped out. Other life. Implying that The Sanctuary had become more than a place of captivity for her. It wasn't another life for her, not nearly at all, she would get out of there before it ever became that — but she made relationships that would break her into pieces to leave behind. The two simply couldn't come together. It wouldn't be possible. Noah, Sara, Sherry, and even Negan. She'd likely never see their faces again.