26

Xiao Zhige was right, in less than two days, no one dared to mention the Marquis's name in public. The New Year was around the corner but the streets were deserted and cold. No more were the lively scenes of people crowding around the storytellers listening to their tales.

The bookstores hid the scripts that were displayed in the front all the way to the back. If it weren't a regular customer who came to buy, they would not dare to sell.

On Yong Le Lane, a small modest carriage passed by slowly. The Imperial Supervisor sitting inside had a determined smile on his boney face as he carefully put away a paper fold fully filled with words.

The next day, a testimonial account regarding Marquis Wu was presented before the Emperor.

At the same time, the deng wen drum1 of the Imperial Palace sounded. A ragged old woman knelt before the drum and kowtowed repeatedly. Her tears fell as she cried desperately, "The Wu Manor has no regard for human lives. Is there justice under the Emperor's reign? The Wu Manor has no regard for human lives. Is there justice under the Emperor's reign..."

The old woman was disheveled and mournful. With each bow, her head hit harshly onto the stone floor. Not long after, the ground was stained with blood from her forehead.

The drumming eventually spread to the palace hall. Emperor An Qing was holding the testimonial fold in his hand and had a look of discontent, "Who is making all that noise?"

"Your Majesty, it's an old woman." The person who responded glanced at Marquis Wu and hesitated.

"An old woman?"

"... She's accusing the Wu Manor of disregarding human lives."

Emperor An Qing flung his hand and threw the lengthy fold onto the floor and demanded angrily, "Marquis Wu, what do you have to say?"

Marquis Wu frantically stepped out and bowed. Picking up the testimonial fold on the ground, he read the first few lines and immediately knelt down and exclaimed, "Your Majesty, this is a setup. I am being framed!"

Emperor An Qing had always disliked complicated matters. He sat back lazily on the dragon throne and pointed to the Imperial Supervisor, "Minister He, you tell me."

The Imperial Supervisor stepped forward and bowed. He listed slowly and audibly the sins that the Wu Manor was accused of, "The charges for Marquis Wu's family are as follows: The Marquis's brother- murdering and stealing someone else's wife. The Marquis's son- unlawful seizing of land. The Marquis's wife- murdering three women from respectable families..."

Marquis Wu's face turned whiter with each line the Imperial Supervisor read. By the time he had finished reading, his face was as white as a sheet. With much effort, he calmed himself and insisted, "This is all slander! Even if you held a grudge against me for what happened to my first wife, you can't make such serious accusations!"

The Imperial Supervisor remained indifferent. He lifted his hem and knelt down, "Your Majesty, everyone knows that my daughter died of illness, why would I hold a grudge against Marquis Wu for that? What's being written here could all be verified and traced, if the Marquis still can't accept it then please have the Da Li Court investigate!"

Marquis Wu choked up. He looked around and his eyes, filled with expectation, landed on An Zhi Ke.

At this time, Emperor An Qing also addressed An Zhi Ke, "What does Minister An think?"

An Zhi Ke stepped out and weighed in on the matter, "Right or wrong, it's best to have the Da Li Court decide."

"Approved," Emperor An Qing said, "This matter will be left to the Da Li Court and the Imperial Supervisor will oversee the progress on my behalf."