52. The End Of The Beginning

Genevieve found it hard to focus on her NEWT revision, when every time she closed her eyes, she pictured Gellert sitting alone in his cell. And despite Tom's best efforts, he couldn't make Genevieve forget what she had learned about her parentage.
She researched the Ravenclaw family in the Hogwarts library, which seemed to back up Gellert's claims about Genevieve's mother Maria's existence.
But since Gellert was the only one to know the real truth, Genevieve had to take his word for it, for there was no one alive besides him, who knew what really happened.

In no time at all the exams were over, and Genevieve's time at Hogwarts had come to an end.
On her and Tom's last night at Hogwarts, they sat in the Astronomy tower, looking down at the grounds for what they knew would be the last time.
"I'm sorry Dippet refused to take you on as Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher" Genevieve said softly.
Her and Tom were sat by the window, with their arms around each other, watching the sun set.
"Thanks. He said I could try again in a few years time, if I wanted to. But he felt that 18 was too young to be teacher" admitted Tom.
"Well, he has a point. At least now we can get jobs together in Knockturn Alley, and we won't have to be parted" replied Genevieve.
"I suppose everything happens for a reason, and maybe this is for the best. But I am going to miss this view"
"Me too".

"Hogwarts has been my home for 7 years, and it's the only home I've ever known. Which is why I'm not looking forward to leaving" admitted Tom.
"I'm not either. Before I came here, I travelled across the globe with Gellert, never staying in one place for more than a few weeks. Hogwarts was my first permanent home, that I knew I would always be able to return to each year. But tonight is our last night here, for we are never coming back. And that saddens me" replied Genevieve.
"Tomorrow is the first day of our real lives. Our future starts tomorrow. But it is so hard to let go of the past"
"I know what you mean. Hogwarts was the first place I was ever truely happy, which is why I'm going to miss it".

"Hogwarts is also the place where we met" smiled Tom.
"Technically we met on the train, but you're right, we wouldn't have ever met if we hadn't gone to Hogwarts" agreed Genevieve.
"You were the first friend I ever made. And you liked me before I even showed you how powerful I was. For that, I am eternally grateful. You've always seen the real me, unlike everyone else who only sees the facade I put up"
"I think that's because we were destined to be together"
"Yes, we were".

"It's going to be strange getting off the Hogwarts Express tomorrow, and have no one waiting for me on Platform 9 and 3/4. Instead we will have to make our own way to our new flat in London" admitted Genevieve.
"It will be odd, but I'm looking forward to having our own place together. It will be nice to finally get to be adults, without having the teachers watching our every move. I'm particularly looking forward to getting away from Dumbledore, who's been keeping a close watch on me ever since I opened the chamber" informed Tom.
"I think having freedom will take a bit of getting used to. But I agree, it will be nice to have somewhere to call our home, away from prying eyes. And our flat is only a 5 minute walk from the Leaky Cauldron, so we won't have to walk very far to get to Knockturn Alley. Which will be useful when we get jobs, once our NEWT results have come back".

"Are you nervous about the results?" Questioned Tom.
"I mean, I did have a lot on my mind, during the exams. But I'm not overly concerned, for I'm sure I got Outstandings in them all. And even if I didn't, I know that I definitely didn't fail them" answered Genevieve.
"You probably could get any job in Knockturn Alley, without needing all Outstandings, for not everyone is as smart as us. So I don't think you have anything to worry about" admitted Tom.
"But if I can't get a job, I will just have to rely on my brilliant boyfriend, to look after me" teased Genevieve.
"I will always keep you safe, you can rely on me"
"You're probably the only person in this world that I do still trust".

"I wanted to give you something to celebrate the start of our new life together" announced Tom, as he turned to face Genevieve.
"What is it?" Asked Genevieve curiously.
Tom placed his hand inside his pocket, bringing out a small black box.
He then took a deep breath, before opening the box, revealing a beautiful engagement ring, with a black diamond in the centre.
"Merlin's beard!" Gasped Genevieve, when she saw the ring.

"I want us to start a new chapter of our lives. I want you to be my fiancè, and not merely my girlfriend. I want the world to know that you belong to me... So, Genevieve Elodie Grindelwald, will you marry me?" Questioned Tom.
"Yes. A thousand times yes" squealed Genevieve.
Tom smiled and took the ring out of the box, before sliding it onto Genevieve's finger.
Genevieve lent forward and placed her arms around Tom, as she kissed him hard on the lips.
"I love you" she whispered, as the sun finished setting, illuminating the room in a beautiful orange glow.
"And I love you" replied Tom.
Genevieve looked down at the ring on her finger and smiled, "Nothing will ever come between us now. I am yours, and you are mine, until the end of time".

The End.
**********

Thanks for reading book one.
This was originally going to be just one book, but I realised I have far too many years to cover.
So please continue this story with me in book two, which will focus on the lead up to the first wizarding war.