Chapter 98

"Lena, my dear, they'll come when they come. Now, come inside, it's freezing out here," Molly urged as she walked outside to stand with the girl who only shook her head as she fidgeted with the locket around her neck, eyes trained on the sky.

"I can't do that. That's my brothers and Arthur and my godfather and the man I love out there. I can't just sit inside and wait mum," she said, and Molly side hugged the girl before the ground rumbled.

"Someone's here," she said as the ground stopped shaking, a sign that someone had passed through the wards she and Mad eye had put up.

Ginny came running out too as they watched something crash in the field and then two figures approaching.

"Harry! Hagrid! What happened?" Molly asked as she noted their soaked appearances.

"Where are the others?" Leona asked worriedly as she quickly hugged Harry.

"Is no one else back?" he asked, and Leona's heart began to hammer in her chest, worry eating her up inside.

"On us right from the start. We didn't stand a chance," Hagrid said and you could see the worry inside Molly.

"Well, thank goodness you two are alright," she said as Harry and Ginny moved closer to each other, and Leona bit her nails on one hand while the other squeezed her locket.

"The death eaters were waiting for us. It was an ambush," Hagrid informed as he and Molly went inside, before they heard a noise and a bright light flashed.

"HERE! Quick! Into the house!" came Remus' voice as he lugged a detransforming Harry inside, his ear mangled and blood gushing down his neck, clinging to his hair, head rolling to the side.

"GEORGE!" Leona screamed in worry as she grabbed his other arm and helped her uncle haul him inside.

"Oh, my boy!" Molly gasped in worry when she saw him, as they lowered him onto the sofa, Leona running to the cupboard to get some towels, hearing her uncle and Harry screaming at each other as she did so.

"We were betrayed. Voldemort knew you were being moved tonight. I had to make sure you weren't an imposter," Remus explained as he panted, and Leona knelt by George as she began to wipe the blood from him.

"We're gonna fix you up nice and good, alright Georgie?" she promised as Molly bent by his head and pushed his hair back.

"Fred...where's Fred?" George asked and Leona stilled.

"He's on his way. He'll be here soon. So just stay awake until then. Can you do that?" she asked softly as Remus rushed outside, followed by Harry.

"Am I a better Beater than Fred?" he groaned out, eyes still half-closed as Leona and Molly chuckled.

"You're going to be ok Georgie," she repeated, mostly for her own reassurance as she cleaned up the blood on his neck.

The towel was soaked before she began assessing his ear, and she and Molly turned at the sound of footsteps behind them.

A massive breath of relief flowed out of Leona as she saw it was Fred and Arthur, the former setting down his wand as he knelt next to Leona, taking her hand.

"How you feeling Georgie?" he asked softly, and Leona could tell he was scared as he squeezed her hand.

"Saint like," George said, eyes closed, and the couple turned to each other, confused.

"Come again?" Fred asked.

"Saint like," George repeated before raising a blood-covered finger to point at his ear. "I'm holey. I'm holey Fred. Get it?"

They had to laugh at that.

"The whole wide world of ear-related humour and you go for I'm holey? It's pathetic," Fred laughed.

"Reckon I'm still better looking than you. Right, Lena?" George groaned, lips still quirked in half a smile.

She leaned forward and kissed his forehead.

"Darn right Georgie. I think I chose the wrong twin," she joked with a smile and Fred turned to her.

"Oi!"

And they only laughed.

Laughter that died when Bill stepped forward.

"Mad eye's dead."

They all turned to him in shock, mouths gaping as Remus was forced to sit down.

"Mundungus took one look at Voldemort and disapparated."

Silence.

A heavy, smothering silence.

If only there was a spell to kill silencesinstead of people