The hero of the story

She gripped her staff, noticing how his wings seemed to be heavily damaged and frayed at some parts, though. "D-Did you crash, too?" She asked suddenly, pointing at his wings. The man looked at them in surprise, like he had forgotten his elytra was even there. 

"Oh!" He laughed. "No. I didn't crash. I woke up here a little while ago in a tree, but I definitely didn't crash. I can't fly, haven't done so in a long time." 

He smiled sadly at Gem, and she felt a rush of sadness.

This man was looking at her in a way that could only be described as narrative, and omniscient. 

He knew who she was. Another hero in history's scrolls, another soul in the many, fighting fate's outcome of life. He watched her with a graceful mourning, like no matter what he did, he wouldn't be there to save her when she died.

He wouldn't be able to save anyone.

She blinked, startled by the weight the look had carried. Then she looked at the broken elytra again. "Do... You want a new elytra?" She asked cautiously. 

The sooner he could fly again, the sooner he'd be out of there. But instead the man laughed.

"You really think an elytra would fit on my back when I have my wings?" She blinked in surprise. 

The way he said it... She blanched.

"Those are your wings?!?"