Chapter Forty-One

THORN

I slow down at the edge of the camp. Devon's been quiet for a long time, apart from occasionally whimpering and groaning. Sometimes the transition tricks you into thinking that the pain is easing but it's just warming up to the big finale. I can't handle seeing her in pain anymore.

Sky is the first to run at us. She places her hand to Devon's head and asks question after question as I carry her over to a quiet place in the corner. Half of the group is missing as they're escorting the children safely to the caves. The remaining half are picking out weapons and playing around with the spyware.

"What's wrong with her?" Kira says.

"She's in transition."

Everyone just stares blankly at me and then they carry on talking to each other. Empathy regarding transitioning isn't something Devon will ever receive from werewolves.

I turn to Sky. "She needs the cure."

"The cure won't work," she says. "It only works if you take it before the transition starts. I thought that you didn't take it?"

"I didn't," I say. "She is transitioning instead of me. It's a long story and we'll explain it later."

Devon pushes her head up and snarls. "The cure won't work? It has to work. Let me try. Please."

"What about the painkiller?" Balan says.

Sky nods.

Balan glances at me sadly. "There's only one batch left. I was saving it for you."

"Give it to her."

Balan nods and runs towards her hut. I clock eyes with Lucias who is clutching a weapon to his chest. He is ready for this fight. There isn't anything left of him except for grief and vengeance.

"Check these out," Pal says. He lifts some binoculars to his eyes that flash green. "These are awesome."

"They aren't toys," I growl. "And who the hell gave you a launcher?" I charge over and rip it from his lap.

"Come on, that's the coolest weapon ever. I can blow that mountain to pieces right now."

"And that is exactly why you're not having it." I pass it back to Kira who smirks at him.

"The humans are surrounding the mountain," Nadia says. "We could do nothing. We could hide good enough to let them kill Cole and his pack."

"I like that plan," Pal says. "Why aren't we doing that?"

"Because our parents and friends are up there!" Sky yells defensively.

Nadia twists her eyes coldly. "You're one of them. Why should we care?"

"Because we're better than that," Kira says. She folds her arms awkwardly. "Not all of them are bad. We should help them."

"Help them?" Lucias says.

Fuck. Here we go.

"They murdered Daria! I have no intention of helping them. I am going up there to help the humans kill every last one of them."

I rub my head. "Lucias-"

"Fuck you, Thorn. We know everything. Balan told us everything. Your mate down there is one of them too."

I glare at Balan as she carries the cup over to Devon. She shies away from my anger and turns her back to me. Devon pours the contents down her throat without hesitation.

"You mated with the curse breaker and you didn't even give us the courtesy of offering a fucking opinion on it!" he shouts in my face.

"Keep your voice down. Humans still have ears."