Chapter 65

It was near the end of the lesson. Slughorn had instructed them to turn to page ten of their Potions books and attempt to make the Draught of Living Death, which was more advanced to brew than any of them had ever imagined.

     In the end, even though Snape's potion wasn't perfect, it was still better than any one else's in the class, much to James and Sirius's annoyance. Snape was sitting with the rest of the Slytherins, and Diana had seen him scratch lines or write notes on the margins of his book throughout the class, with his face bent over his book and his greasy black hair falling over his face.

      Near the end of the class, Diana was writing down the homework which Slughorn had assigned them in her notebook. Although she suddenly pulled her quill back in surprise when she saw that words were magically being written at the top of the page in a beautiful cursive handwriting, as though an invisible hand was writing it.

Stay behind in class after everyone leaves

      Confused, Diana looked behind her shoulder. A smile crept through her face when she saw that Remus had his wand in hand underneath the table. He was using a spell to write the words in her notebook from afar.

     "Well, that was some stunt they pulled today," said Layla once the class came to an end and everyone started packing their bags.

     Diana had to hold back a snort of laughter when she looked back at her friend, seeing that her afro had grown twice its normal size and had become extremely whizzy.

      "What was?" Diana asked, placing her book in her bag and zipping it up.

  "Um, did we not just see that thing between Potter and Evans?" Layla said knowingly. "I always admired Potter's determination on getting the yes out of that girl. I mean, how long has it been? Five years?"

     "I suppose." Diana shrugged, getting slightly distracted when she saw Remus leave the classroom along with James and Sirius.

       "Ready to go?" Layla asked, throwing her bag over her shoulder.

       "Er... you go ahead. I want to ask Professor Slughorn a question," Diana said the first excuse that came to her mind.

      "All right... I'll go to the library, then," Layla said and gave Diana a curious look, before waving her goodbye and leaving the classroom along with the other students.

     Diana could feel that her friend found this quite hard to believe. Despite trusting her with everything, Diana didn't want to tell Layla about Remus, knowing that she would make a big deal out of it.

      "Miss Greengrass? How may I help you?" Diana turned around as Slughorn called her from the front of the classroom, where he was using his wand to magically erase the white chalk from the blackboard.

     "Er..." Diana started, not sure what she was supposed to ask him. She turned around to glance behind her shoulder over at the door, wondering where Remus had gone and when he was going to return.

     "Well?" said Slughorn, snapping her out of her thoughts as he put his wand back in his briefcase and turned to face her with a smile.

     "I — um — I was wondering what that potion was, Professor," she said, pointing at a small cauldron on his desk, with a mother-of-pearl sheen to it and a steam which rose from it in characteristic spirals.

      "Ah!" Professor Slughorn chuckled, walking up to the cauldron. "This, my dear, is Amortenia. I assume, you know what it is?"

     "Sorry, sir, but no."