Chapter 4

"Mr Stark, please, we need to leave now."

"Just five more minutes, Y/n."

"Mr Stark, we're already going to be fifteen minutes late. You know, Mr Hale has been calling me non-stop about this. If we miss it, you'll be bringing hell upon me."

Mr Stark finally stopped tinkering and sighed at me.

"Don't guilt trip me, Y/n," he said.

"I will do anything and everything I can to get you to this meeting," I said.

Mr Stark rolled his eyes and put his wrench down.

"Fine, fine, you win," he said. "I'll just get into my suit."

"I'll be waiting for you in the car," I said. "If you're not there in ten minutes, I'll call Miss Potts."

Mr Stark paled slightly, and I smiled at him. I left his lab and took the elevator to the garage, where Happy was waiting for Mr Stark and I.

"Morning Happy," I said, sliding into the backseat.

"Morning, Y/n," Happy said.

I'd been working as Mr Stark's assistant for a few weeks now. Everyone in the tower was super nice. I'd only met Bruce Banner and Clint Barton so far, but that was way more than enough. Meeting Avengers was super cool, but I didn't want them all looking too close at my past.

Mr Stark was a great boss. He told me to take time off whenever I wanted and had already given me a raise. Soon enough, I'd be able to move out of my apartment and to a better one.

Mr Stark was also very playful, and funny. He liked to make jokes and mess around with me. It was never creepy or uncomfortable. He kind of reminded me of a cool uncle.

The ten minutes was up when Mr Stark slid into the back seat.

"Alright, let's go," Mr Stark said.

I sent a quick text to Mr Hale's assistant, letting him know that we were running a bit late. I then made sure that I had everything sorted before shutting my Stark phone off.

"Wow, busy life, huh?" Mr Stark asked.

"Busy job," I replied. "But it's great. I really love this job, Mr Stark."

Mr Stark nodded once. The car ride was only twenty minutes, and we exited the car when it stopped. Happy said he'd pick us up after the meeting and left.

Mr Stark and I entered the building. The receptionist glanced at me a few times before letting us in. When we got to the elevator, security stopped me.

"Sorry, but this meeting is for Mr Stark only," one of them said.

"Well, I'm not going in without my assistant," Mr Stark said. "How else am I supposed to remember the information?"

The security guards glanced at each other.

"We're sorry Mr Stark," one of them said. "We can't let her in."

"Fine," Mr Stark said. "We'll leave. C'mon, Y/n."

Mr Stark linked our arms and began walking away when the security guard spoke again.

"Wait, Mr Stark! On second thought, I'm sure Mr Hale won't mind," he said quickly.

Mr Stark quirked an eyebrow at me. I tried not to grin.

"What do you say, Y/n?" he asked.

I shrugged.

"Might as well see what he wants," I said.