Bonus 2| Reunion Between Us

My throat clogged up–both at seeing Claire in front of me and thinking about Brian.

"Claire," I managed to whisper and it was like a dam broke. My tears flowed out without pause and Claire gave me a small smile amidst her own tears.

She had changed. Her face looked tired. Her eyes looked vacant, like they had been that way since that fateful night that led to Jake's death.

She reached for me and I met her halfway and then we were engulfing each other in a tight hug. She shuddered against me, her teeth chattering although it wasn't even cold tonight and squeezed me tighter to her.

I held her as she sobbed into my shoulder. I didn't care if the others eating there were now all looking at us. I was meeting my best friend for the first time in seven years. I was allowed to show a melodramatic reaction.

When she calmed down enough, I was about to pull away to look at her properly but suddenly we were thrown around in what seemed like all directions. I yelped as I stepped on someone's foot and they let out a grunt.

Then we were both squeezed to different bodies. When we finally grasped a sense of direction, I realized all my other friends were there.

"You guys," Tyler was saying through happy tears. "I missed you so all so fucking much."

Josh just mumbled into our clothes. "It's been so long!"

Darren lightly hugged us all in our group hug and said to Claire. "I'm so happy to see you. You look good."

She beamed at him and said, "Have you aged at all? You still look like that stupid boy I met in school."

"You can try and be a little polite in complimenting me," he said and finally looked at me.

We had dated briefly and I had broken his heart because of that bet I made with Brian but it seemed like all was forgotten because he ruffled my hair. "Hello there, Ms. CEO. What an honour to be in your presence."

I gave a half hearted punch to his shoulder and almost jumped into his arms when he spread them out for me.

Finally there was Sam, a friend of Brian's who had wriggled his way into our circle back in school.

He looked too choked up with emotions to form words so he smashed our faces into his chest, until we beat at his back to allow us some air to breath.

"I thought this day would never come," he roared, earning weird glances our way but he paid them no attention as he bawled.

After the hugs and kisses, we settled around our table, ordering food and drinks.

"Man, it's been what–seven years!" Tyler said, shaking his head. "And I'd still want to go back to our school days."

"Me too," Claire said, and I looked at her. She looked radiant despite seeming older than twenty-five but most importantly she looked happy. "What are you guys up to anyways?" Then she met my gaze and held up a hand. "Not you, Brooke. We see your face in the papers every day and basically know everything you've done, okay? You're not allowed to brag."

I chuckled and Sam who was sitting next to me caught me in a headlock. "That's right. We know you're very successful and now own a million dollar business and shit. No need to rub it on our faces."

I squealed and rained punches on his back and shoulder to release me.

"Didn't expect Brooke will be the famous one among us, and the most successful one either," Tyler said.

I scowled at him. "What do you mean?"

He held up his hands. "No offence. Just thought the famous one would be Sam. I was half expecting him to end up being a pornstar."

Sam howled in laughter. "Not a pornstar, just working a boring nine-to-five job and I hate it so maybe being a pornstar is still possible. Earning tons of money just to fuck? Hell yeah. What are you doing, Josh?"

Josh's cheeks and ears turned red and he gulped down his drink. I had no doubt he was imagining Sam naked in bed. "I own a store."

"Darren?"

"I'm a chef."

"Then you definitely have to feed us some time," I said.

"I will." He said. "And I'm happy for you, Brooke," he added in a low voice. "Truly very happy that you've achieved so much for yourself."

I laid my hand over his and squeezed. "Thank you for everything, Darren."

"Tyler?" Sam asked.

"I run a business although I'm no Brooke. I don't have her brains and skills so it's not doing that great. If you ever decide to become a pornstar, I'll join you," Tyler said.

"In bed?" Sam wiggled his brows, snaking hands around his bicep. Tyler shoved him off, almost falling off his chair to get away from him.

"No thanks. Maybe ask Josh," he said.

Josh jumped, going red all over. "S-shut up."

Sam threw his arm over his shoulders. "You just have to ask," he said, winking at him. "I swing both ways."

Claire and I choked on our food the same time. Tyler and Darren stared at him. "Really?" Darren asked.

Sam nodded. "Realized at uni when I kissed a dude at a frat party...and liked it."

"Last I remember you were dating that neighbour chick of yours," Tyler said.

"She was good. She's a nice woman. But it didn't work out."

I narrowed my eyes at him and he noticed my look. He instantly threw his hands up. "I didn't cheat or anything. Treated her like a queen. Not after that motherfucker Jes–"

"Josh!" I almost screamed. "Are you dating anyone?" I asked and shot a glare at Sam.

Sam cursed under his breath when he realized he had almost said Jesse's name out loud. We all casted subtle worried glances at Claire who had gone quiet but she started eating her food and we were all too eager to distract her.

Josh fumbled for an answer. "Dated a guy briefly but then he had to move because of his job and we both didn't want to try long distance."

"That's really sad, man," Tyler piped in. "I've been forever single so I wouldn't know how that feels."

Darren laughed, a lot louder than he intended, all to distract Claire. "Loser. I dated lots of people in uni," he said. "Not at the same time," he clarified.

"After my realization," Sam directed his words at Claire to occupy her attention. "I dated lots of guys and girls. But I'm single now. And so is–" he looked around at the table. "–Josh, Tyler, Darren, Brooke?" He winced. "Sorry."

"It's fine." I said quietly, looking down at my food, my appetite suddenly gone.

"I'm single," Claire said to me and I appreciated the effort to distract me now.

"I'm single too," said a quiet voice behind me and we all turned to look at the person and as I took in his words, my heart splintered into a million pieces.